Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Hands On review of the Laguna Revo 1836

A Hands On review of the Laguna Revo 1836

I recently upgraded lathes and thought this review might be of interest to creekers. I apologize for the black and white pics, wide margins and the poor pic resolution, but the original PDF file with color pics could not be reduced sufficiently to permit upload to SMC.

I hope this is helpful to those with some interest in this lathe.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Congrats on the new pony, counselor! Hope you put a saddle on that thing and ride away into the vortex even more. Nice review you posted. Glad it is a better fit for you ergonomically..........that is always a plus.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great review John.

Congratulations John on your new lathe. I looked at the Laguna 1836 at the Tennessee woodturning symposium this year and was very impressed with the fit and finish of this lathe.
    About a year ago I purchased the Laguna 2436 (also selling my Jet 1642). I turn virtually 6 days a week and am very very satisfied with my new lathe. I wish the fit and finish were a bit better but for the most part do not regret the decision. The added power and mass makes it a joy to turn on.
    Again congratulations and the best of luck with your new lathe.

I was really wanting the same lathe, just could not afford to buy one. Did up grade the power system of my Nova 162444. Really has changed it's personality. Now variable speed. I am sure that you will just fall deeper in love with you new lathe. Enjoy and good health to you. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Congrats on the new lathe. Looks like a winner. Also great review.

John, congrats on your new lathe. I really like your ballast. Nice review and nice lathe.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Nice review. Your comments match what a member of club here say also, and he it taller and not needing the lower height. I did not turn on his, but did do a good look last year when he got his early delivery. The size and price make for a good deal if I did not have my 3520B. Now we are looking for the large platters you mentioned. I still have to turn my 32"D piece once to say I did.

Nice to read your review. The stance and low center of gravity have to be a real plus. Enjoy.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Just purchased the same lathe 2 weeks ago, very pleased so far. Good height for me, controls are very convenient, plenty of power.

Nice lathe.

Who knew I needed a new lathe. Hard not to find fault with my old one.

I love my 3520B and have no intention to ever get a different lathe unless I win a lottery. That being said, it sounds like the cone behind the spindle of the Laguna would be nice. I often find that it is tricky to get a bevel riding cut started on the bottom of a piece held in a chuck because of the big block of the Powermatic headstock.

Thanks for the review and I hope you post pictures of your big platters, John!

Nice looking lathe John Keeton and +1 on Jon's comments. Looks like there's a lot of specification & cosmetic adjustments being made in the bigger dog lathe segments lately with this model, the new Grizzly's & Jet's. Back in 2013 when I bought my 3520B, I looked at the big Laguna at the AWFS in Vegas. It looked good on paper........ but in person, was sort of over in the corner of the booth and wasn't under power and only about 3/4 put together, so the machine and company didn't impress. Glad to see they have finally got it together because that can only be good news for us consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I love my 3520B and have no intention to ever get a different lathe unless I win a lottery. That being said, it sounds like the cone behind the spindle of the Laguna would be nice. I often find that it is tricky to get a bevel riding cut started on the bottom of a piece held in a chuck because of the big block of the Powermatic headstock.

Thanks for the review and I hope you post pictures of your big platters, John!

Thanks for the review. I came close to buying one of that where they were recently discounted by 10% at woodcraft. The only thing that prevented me was my in-built difficulty in spending money...

I liked the headstock taper, the tool rest clamp, the indexing system (though I'm not sure I'd use that much), and the price. The general quality, judging by eye and feel, seemed rather good.
    I would like a couple more inches of swing but, perhaps not enough to splurge on the Powermatic. I'm also interested in the G0677, but am a bit concerned about some reported quality issues.

Doug

Blog Entries
    Excellent review. Happy turning on those BIG platters.