Thread: Harbor freight lathe belt

Harbor freight lathe belt

Just wanted to ping the experts. I have a Harbor Freight 34706 lathe (http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch...ead-34706.html) and the belt is showing signs it needs to be replaced. A quick search online and I find people recommending NAPA part #3L240W (most notably here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f97/...6-lathe-42750/). Sounds like a winner to me, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this lathe and replacing the belt.

I stopped by my NAPA and they didn't have the belt, but surely I can get it cross-referenced somewhere else.

Thanks!

I used the napa # to have the local carquest get me one. Fit fine on a hf 12x42 reeves drive lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rhodus View Post
    I used the napa # to have the local carquest get me one. Fit fine on a hf 12x42 reeves drive lathe
    Perfect! Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, Bill!

For mine, I took the old belt to my local auto parts store and they matched it up for me... works well, better than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kimbrell View Post
    For mine, I took the old belt to my local auto parts store and they matched it up for me... works well, better than the original.
    Do you happen to know what size they gave you? I'm still second-guessing myself. I went out and looked at the belt currently on the lathe and the only marking says "O-560". The HF manual for the lathe calls the part "V-BELT M23". I think an M23 belt would be a 23 inch belt, not a 24 inch belt, but I'm hardly an expert on these things.

I'd rather not remove the existing belt until I have the new one in hand, but I guess I can if I have to.

Other option maybe a link belt, have not tried on a lathe but work well on a table saw

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
    Other option maybe a link belt, have not tried on a lathe but work well on a table saw
    As I understand it, you can't use a link belt on a Reeves drive because it will catch badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Craven View Post
    Do you happen to know what size they gave you? I'm still second-guessing myself. I went out and looked at the belt currently on the lathe and the only marking says "O-560". The HF manual for the lathe calls the part "V-BELT M23". I think an M23 belt would be a 23 inch belt, not a 24 inch belt, but I'm hardly an expert on these things.

I'd rather not remove the existing belt until I have the new one in hand, but I guess I can if I have to.
    Don't remember what the belt number or brand was, just that it was matched too the existing belt. Removing and installing a belt is easy enough to do, so I had no qualms about taking the old one off and carrying it to the store.

So the update is that I went ahead and removed the belt (much easier than I had feared) and took it around to the local auto parts stores (Advance, O'Reilly, and Autozone)... No one could match it. The outside circumference measures about 23 1/4" and the top width looks like it should be 3/8", but it's hard to be sure given how ragged the edges have gotten. Based on this, a 3L belt would make sense, but I would expect to need a 23" instead of a 24". But I would think a belt that's slightly too slack would be better than one that's too tight, so 3L240 should make sense -- and there's plenty of folks recommending it, so I'm just going to try to find one online somewhere.

I have more luck going to my local farm and home store and matching up belts. They are a bit stouter than automotive types, and seem to last longer.
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Colman View Post
    I have more luck going to my local farm and home store and matching up belts. They are a bit stouter than automotive types, and seem to last longer.
    Hmmm... didn't think about that. I've already ordered a belt off Amazon, but I'll keep this in mind for next time!

Link belts can be used on reeves but would not be my first choice. I ran a Jet 1442 with a link belt for a while until I got a replacement. I had no problems. I didn't notice any belt wear or anything else unusual other than it sounded a little different.

Aaron i just walked to the shop to confirm; my HF 12" reeves drive lathe uses a Carquest 6724. Napa # is 3L240W. Rinning one on my lathe now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rhodus View Post
    Aaron i just walked to the shop to confirm; my HF 12" reeves drive lathe uses a Carquest 6724. Napa # is 3L240W. Rinning one on my lathe now.
    Thanks, Bill. I ordered a 24" 3L v-belt, which should match that. I'm not sure what the "W" is on the NAPA number (I think it may indicate that the belt is wrapped in some sort of covering), but from what I can tell researching the v-belt sizing system, 3L240 and 3L240W are the same size belt. My local NAPA didn't have the belt, but I ordered one on Amazon and it should be here Friday. To be sure, I'll update the thread as to whether or not it worked, but I feel confident it will be right.