Thread: Anyone been to Bucks County Hardwoods?

Anyone been to Bucks County Hardwoods?

Has anyone in the suburban Philly area had any work done for them at Bucks County Hardwoods? I stopped by there today to see what kind of machinery they have, and it seemed pretty nice. They've got a nice big surfacer (i.e. huge router sled), a 60" belt sander, decent sized jointer (prob 12") and one massive 24" jointer that they don't like to use due to lack of guard. They seemed very accommodating and reasonably priced, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here has actually used them.

I've got some 6' long, 14-20" wide walnut pieces that I can't easily process in my small basement shop, so I was looking for a place to get them flattened and jointed as needed.

Thanks,
    Steve
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I've never heard of the place before. How are their lumber supply and pricing?

I must say it seems odd to not use a valuable machine like a big jointer. Fix it, but don't let it sit there.

I really didn't talk with the guy about the lumber he sells. He did have some nice boards there though; there was one walnut piece that had to have been 11-12 feet long and 24" wide. He said they deal a lot with crotch pieces.

I think they only use that 24" jointer to remove twists from large pieces. It did not have a very long bed, so I think they rely on the surfacer more instead.

Where is this, Steve...I'm not familiar with the name.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Where is this, Steve...I'm not familiar with the name.
    Jim, it's on Old Easton Road, a little south of Point Pleasant Pike. That might technically be Danboro. It sits back off the road with only a little wooden sign by the street that has the address and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Jim, it's on Old Easton Road, a little south of Point Pleasant Pike. That might technically be Danboro. It sits back off the road with only a little wooden sign by the street that has the address and nothing more.
    Ah...yes, I've been there, but it's been a long time. They specialize in slabs if I recall. Nice folks to my memory.
    --

Blog Entries
    Ah...yes, I've been there, but it's been a long time. They specialize in slabs if I recall. Nice folks to my memory.
    I considered them when I was sourcing lumber for the dining table that you took a look at yesterday Jim. They can't be more than what....fifteen minutes from you?
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Yes, about 15 minutes right up Rt 413 to Gardenville and then Point Pleasant Pike into Danville with a left onto Old Easton. Not far at all. I should probably stop by there sometime to see what's new given it's been years since my previous visit. And they are certainly closer than Wherung's Specialty Woods way up in Ottsville.
    --

I've used them a few times recently. Decent stock, especially slabs and flitches. I've never had him mill anything for me, but I've been in that shop, and that surfacer is pretty awesome.

For those folks who live in Ontario and upstate New York there is a great slab/lumber shop in Ottawa that also does milling work on request. Great people! With the Canadian $ in the tank the exchange rate alone would pay for the gas!

http://www.kjpselecthardwoods.com/liveedgewood.html
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Yes, about 15 minutes right up Rt 413 to Gardenville and then Point Pleasant Pike into Danville with a left onto Old Easton. Not far at all. I should probably stop by there sometime to see what's new given it's been years since my previous visit. And they are certainly closer than Wherung's Specialty Woods way up in Ottsville.
    Jim, have you been to M.Y. Custom Log Cutting on Curly Hill Road near Rt. 313? They do large slabs as well, although they don't have a surfacer nor a large jointer that I'm aware of. That's where I bought my walnut that I'm trying to mill.

Quote Originally Posted by jon amick View Post
    I've used them a few times recently. Decent stock, especially slabs and flitches. I've never had him mill anything for me, but I've been in that shop, and that surfacer is pretty awesome.
    I'm definitely going to have them mill my pieces on that surfacer. That thing did look pretty awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Jim, have you been to M.Y. Custom Log Cutting on Curly Hill Road near Rt. 313? They do large slabs as well, although they don't have a surfacer nor a large jointer that I'm aware of. That's where I bought my walnut that I'm trying to mill.
    No, I'm not familiar with them.
    --

You should check it out. The guy is a little ornery, but he's got a lot of material and the prices seem really good.