Thread: Laguna LT16 Advice

Laguna LT16 Advice

I'm looking at a used Laguna LT16 bandsaw for $1450. I've read great things about the LT16HD, but read some negatives about the non-HD version. I don't have a bandsaw, but have been looking at the Grizzly's of late. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have read that the Italian version is the one to get and I believe the HD is that version.

Blog Entries
    There has been three versions of many Laguna saws. LT16HD, LT16 and LT16-3000 were the original numbers. The first two were Italian made, the last Taiwanese. Some models had HD versions, some didn't. Some non HD versions were dropped in the current line up in deference to the lower Taiwanese version. You don't usually see the 3000 nomenclature in private sells so they can be confusing. I have an LT18 (no HD and it is Italian made) and its great! Although an HD may be heavier built I have no trouble tensioning 1 inch blades.

So, first you need to try to find out more about the LT16 you're looking at. Then remember that in older saws, the maximum cut depth may be less than in newer versions of the same model, so don't depend on the Laguna website for specs. Get the real info from the seller. The price sounds in the right range assuming it is Italian made.

In general I think all of the Laguna italian made saws are very good saws, its just that the HD versions are heavier built. I doubt I'll ever notice the difference nor will most people.

Great feedback Bill. I checked the add and it's an LT16-3000, so Taiwanese. With that understood now, is the saw worth getting, or hold out for something different (I'm not in a rush). I suppose everything is worth something, so what would a fair price be?

I purchased (new) the LT 18-3000 a few years back and have been extremely happy with it. No problems and the fit and finish have held up.

cant comment on the price since I've been out of the market.

I do do own a Grizzly 490 jointer. If course the two are different machines but it gives me some comparisons in the purchase, delivery, support and finish between the two brands.

Customer support from Laguna was exceptional. I got some blades from another manufacturer at the same time the BS was delivered and the saw wasn't having it. With all the new pieces in play it took me a while to figure out the problem was the blades and the Laguna rep spent an hour on the phone with me that day, plus surprised me with a follow up call to check and see if the new blades (from Laguna) resolved the issues, which they did.

customer service from Grizzly was also good. Motor shaft on the jointer got marred due to a defective pulley and Grizzly replaced everything (1st year).

The Laguna machine has a better finish but it's also higher priced equipment. I liked the guides on the Laguna BS, so I went that direction. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Grizzly again. Guess it depends on tastes. Sometimes I lean towards value and other times I'd like the extra features and am willing to pay more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sloop View Post
    Great feedback Bill. I checked the add and it's an LT16-3000, so Taiwanese. With that understood now, is the saw worth getting, or hold out for something different (I'm not in a rush). I suppose everything is worth something, so what would a fair price be?
    For the italian model that would be a good price. I'm sure the -3000 model was under $2000 new so I would offer $1000 Maybe go to $1200 if in top shape.
    I got my LT18 italian saw for $1000 but had to build a new motor mount for it since it was knocked over onto the motor. (Thanks again Bruce !?). They usually go for $1500-$2000
    Laguna and other high end band saws do seem to have a higher resale value then most power tools.

I am not familiar with the 3000, but I found a LT16HD for around that $1,500 range. It was barely used. Every few months on CL it seems one, or an equivalent brand, pops up under $2k. When one does pop up you have to be ready to pounce, they don't seem to last long.

I have the Laguna LT16 with the Baldor 3HP motor. Owned it since new (2003) and it is neither Taiwanese or Italian, it is Bulgarian. At that time Laguna sourced the LT16 saws from ZMM Stomana in Bulgaria. This European company still manufactures and distributes many different forms of woodworking machines. The exact same saw is still manufactured and distributed around the world by ZMM Stomana under the name of "Nikmann BS40". You can see the details of it on Stomana's current website. It is identical to the one I bought with the only difference being the Laguna livery colors and the Baldor motor. I suspect the power today installed on them is destination country dependent.

After 17 years of use this machine has been flawless and has been a great, useful addition to my shop. I have one of the Resaw King 1" blades installed on it and many, many linear feet of both hardwood and softwood have been through it.. I do not know why Laguna stopped carrying the ZMM Stomana line shortly thereafter but it is a shame. I don't know about today but back then European quality woodworking machinery far exceeded the quality of anything the far east manufacturers could come up with. Torben Helshoj and Jay Andrews demonstrated this machine to me (along with the Italian LT16HD) at a wood show way back when. I clearly remember how both of them were very excited to have this new model and manufacturer in their lineup. It was in the neighborhood of $1,200 at the time and seemed like a lot of money to me. The LT16HD was closer to $2,000 back then if I recall correctly. I bit the bullet on the LT16 and have zero regret. $1200 divided by 17 yrs is $70 bucks a year...and going down!

The very fact that the manufacturer still makes the exact same machine (and two larger models as well BS50 & BS61) is a testament to the build quality, durability and worldwide customer satisfaction that ZMM Stomana has provided woodworkers.

https://stomana.net/defaulteng.aspx

I have a Laguna 16 that's Made in Italy in near mint condition for sale for $1350 Although FL is probably a little too far for you to drive!