Thread: Laser Engraving Photos on 3mm Birch Plywood Key Rings

Laser Engraving Photos on 3mm Birch Plywood Key Rings

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this great forum. I have used it before and it has been very useful, so thank you.

Last year I started a little laser company called Put It On Wood in Stockport, England and one of the products that sold well were 3mm birch plywood photo key rings. However the photos wear off after a while.

I am wondering whether anybody could recommend a better method of lasering photos onto the wood so that they are more hard wearing. My ideas so far have been:

1) varnishing them but the varnish seems to wash the image away somewhat.
    2) encasing them in plastic wallets like traditional key rings but so far I've not seen anything with a 3mm gap in which I could slide the birch ply. Doe anyone know of such a keyring casing please?
    3) encasing them in epoxy resin. Is this a good idea?

I would really appreciate any ideas or expertise in this area.

Thanks

Julian Homer

I would laser them a bit deeper/darker and varnish them. If that doesn't work well enough then I'd try epoxy doming - it's quick and easy and will provide a protective layer like no other. Plus, you can use the same epoxy for doming badges, lapel pins, etc. All you need is some epoxy (fairly expensive to buy but it goes a long way), UV lights (BLB tubes work fine), and with wood I'd suggest using a vacuum chamber of some sort to eliminate bubbles. Google epoxy doming and you'll find lots of info.

Hi Gary, thanks very much for your advice. I have a little vacuum chamber I could borrow and try this out with.