Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDF Online Supply

MDF Online Supply

I am looking for an online supply of 1/8" MDF/HDF/Tempered Hardboard for my laser cutting projects.

THANKS!

I had no luck finding thin mdf but 1/8" hardboard (like pegboard) is widely available here. Where are you located?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I am located in central Massachusetts. The supply of hardboard in my area is only tempered/smooth on one side and is very dark.

Ours is the same.

Georgia Pacific says they make thin mdf but I struck out in my recent search.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Just wanted to advise you, this is on Inventables site----"Our MDF contains formaldehyde, which most laser cutting providers will not want to laser cut due to safety concerns."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoffman View Post
    Just wanted to advise you, this is on Inventables site----"Our MDF contains formaldehyde, which most laser cutting providers will not want to laser cut due to safety concerns."
    Well, that stinks. Thanks for the info.

Try at The Plywood Co. of Ft Worth (TX) 1/8" Hardboard, tempered 2-sides: https://www.plywoodcompany.com/appli...0&itemid=11672

I'm sure shipping will be reasonable...or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Well, that stinks. Thanks for the info.
    I believe all mdf contains formaldehyde, not just theirs, but with the proper ventilation it's not any worse than anything else you will laser.

edit: here is a wiki link so you can learn everything you wanted to know about mdf... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard
    Last edited by Gary Hair; 03-10-2016 at 3:31 PM.

That pricing on Inventables is insane...$2.60/sqft?!?

Before they quit carrying the 1/8", even Home Depot was only about $5 for a 24"x48" quarter-sheet. My local lumber outlet gets ~$10 for a 49"x97" full-sheet.

I'm having trouble believing any decent plywood supplier doesn't stock this stuff.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Yeah 1/8 MDF is a hard thing to get hold of. What are you making and does it HAVE to be MDF? Given you application we might be able to suggest some other suitable material
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Any chance you have a Menards home improvement store nearby? They sell a pretty thin product that I buy in 4x8 sheets for about $6-8 a sheet. Here's an item we cut out.

http://www.menards.com/main/building...20482226326572
    Last edited by Timothy Kamp; 03-14-2016 at 12:33 AM. Reason: fix image

14. Hi Timothy
    Love that map. I like to ask you for the dxf if that's appropriate. If so, my email is phill_barnes@yahoo.com.au
    If not, that's ok and no offense taken. Great job mate.

Phill

Wow, I cant believe you all are having such a hard time finding this stuff, but evidently I take for granted my supplier. I've been buying all my sheet goods from DSI (Distributor Service Inc) since 1996, and they have several Midwest branches, but I assume any cabinetmakers supply / wholesale plywood supplier in your area will have it.

Trade name is Duron, tempered hardboard, smooth both sides - real flat compared to the home depot stuff which is NOT tempered. DSI and any other plywood wholesaler will also have Baltic birch in 1/8, 1/4", 3/8, etc which lasers so well.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.