Thread: Serious skew skills

Serious skew skills

Just found this through Mike Waldt. Like the title says.... Oh yea, check out the steady rest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRDGq551PA

robo hippy

Ok,
    I give up!

He sure has got the technique down to a artform. No wasted motions. Nice skew work.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Great spindle turning tool skills, but I'm a little puzzled why he would start sanding with P80 & finish with P180 paper? Maybe its the timber & not his turning skills that necessitates the sanding. A good spindle turner on that sort of work should achieve a #180 finish off the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post
    Great spindle turning tool skills, but I'm a little puzzled why he would start sanding with P80 & finish with P180 paper? Maybe its the timber & not his turning skills that necessitates the sanding. A good spindle turner on that sort of work should achieve a #180 finish off the tool.
    lol next time your in the neighborhood you'll have to show me how you turn a piece this long with that 180 finish off the tool in four minutes or so.

Thanks for the vid! very interesting robo!

He makes that look easy. And impressive.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

wow. that's humbling.

With such short tools, make me wonder how long hes' been using those tools. Or does he just use short ones on purpose?
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I'm still very new to turning, and it's encouraging to me that you guys are as impressed as I am by this video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    With such short tools, make me wonder how long hes' been using those tools. Or does he just use short ones on purpose?
    When you watch his video of onehanded with a skew.....you won't have to wonder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyskn2vx_-U

His most recent with an egg is amazing as well. I routinely go back to his videos, he is amazing with gouges too....but he hardly has to pick them up.

Quote Originally Posted by roger oldre View Post
    lol next time your in the neighborhood you'll have to show me how you turn a piece this long with that 180 finish off the tool in four minutes or so.

Thanks for the vid! very interesting robo!
    Roger, There is no doubting his skills or speed but he is using a lathe steady so no reason why he should not be starting at min #120 or even #150 IF the timber is OK. There are still some good production turners about and this guy is pretty good but if you ever get a chance to see NZ production turner Shane Hewitt go see him turn - very impressive. http://www.kauriart.com/gallery.php

ps I'm not to bad with a skew and spindle, but I do not profess to be a production turner or a fast turner.
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 03-11-2016 at 3:55 AM.

I am production turner from small to large turnings. I was more than mildly impressed with his mastery. even with a steady the spindle whipped between supports and he didnt baby the cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by roger oldre View Post
    I am production turner from small to large turnings. I was more than mildly impressed with his mastery. even with a steady the spindle whipped between supports and he didnt baby the cuts.
    Sure doesn't hold back on the cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncsvCUBXsrw is more like what I was saying in this one he uses #120 to start . I like his skew & his dexterity with it and very happy to see he likes a RE on both long & short points of the skew.