Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep a second bandsaw?

Should I keep a second bandsaw?

I purchased a Jet 14" cabinet base band saw thinking it would replace my smaller Jet 12" band saw. After looking at the Carter upgrades for it and the effort to change between resaw and narrower blades I'm now thinking it might be better to keep both saws and have them each setup for a specific operation. I also just purchased a Hawk 26" scroll saw. I'm new to woodworking so should I keep the Jet 12" or sell it?
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 03-09-2016 at 8:49 PM.

If you sell it then make up your mind what you'd replace it with. I'd keep it and have it set up for different tasks. After all, a "woodworker" is really just a "tool collector" in disguise. :-)

I think you should keep it.
    I have two, a Rikon that I use for resawing and cutting bowl blanks etc, and a 14" old iron Delta that I use for bandsaw boxes etc. Sure is handy not having to constantly change blades.

I have two band saws, one of which has a resaw blade on it and the other has a 1/4 inch fine tooth blade on it. I use both of them frequently. When I bought my new saw, I considered selling the other one but I hate changing blades and adjusting guides so much that I just use two saws instead. If you have the room, I suggest you keep both.

I have a friend that has a 12 inch Jet cast iron bandsaw and it is a real jewel for detail work.

I just recently sold one that I thought I might be able to use but it turns out that the four I have left do everything I need . Still I miss it at times
    jack
    English machines

If you have the room, definitely keep it. I got a great deal years ago on a second Delta 14" and dealt with the same issue. I decided to keep them both and I'm glad I did. My original one with a riser is set up with a 3/4" blade (with a 1/2" Woodslicer waiting in the wings) and the other newer one is my go-to bandsaw with a 1/4" blade.

Bandsaws are so versatile, it's a huge timesaver to have two different setups.

One day I would love to have my 16" Grizzly bandsaw be a dedicated resaw bandsaw and have a smaller 14" for everything else. Changing blades on the Grizzly takes too long.

A MM20 and a Jet16 work for me - for wood.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Keep it!
    I have two jet 18" bandsaws, one wears a 3/4" resaw blade, and the other a 1/4" blade for scrolling work. I hate changing blades!

Keep IT ! I have 3
    powermatic 14
    1956 Rockwell wood/metal with riser
    new 17 inch Grizzly

less blade changes and also less jig changes

saves me a lot of time

I'm convinced. I'll keep the 12" Jet if Carter has their Stabilizer for it. I have one on the the Jet 14" and it works really well. Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

I would keep it. I only have one and have to change blades and re-adjust the guides every time I go from re-sawing for doing inly work using my scroll saw, to making band saw boxes.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Sell it. Blade changes take no more than 5 minutes from 1.25" resaw to 0.125" scroll blade on my 18" saw and truth is that a 1/2" variable pitch blade will do most work quite well so lots of changes are not required. If I did non stop resawing and shape cutting in my shop I'd likely have two saws but I am talking about production volumes. I've made guitars and custom furniture for over twenty years now and I've made do with one BS. Sell your saw and put the funds into improving or acquiring new process capabilities or materials.

Collecting equipment is not woodworking and in the end it creates a congested and dysfunctional shop.

Blog Entries
    You could do it the way I did it. I also thought when I bought my larger saw that blade changes are quick; they are. I would also get some floor space back . . . . After 100 times, it gets old. I sold my 12" when I bought my larger saw but then later, bought a 10" to replace it. Time and money lost. Keep it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Keep it

I have a Jet 16" mainly for resaw and a 10" Rikon with Carter Stabilizer for detail work.