Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now what is the best articulated system?

Mine came with a laser. Our club had a demo last month with a camera/monitor system for hollowing. I must say it was impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    If I remember correctly, it was about $625 when I priced it at the GA symposium. That includes the TransFormer bar. Check with Tom Steyer. I think the price varies a little depending on the base.
    $625-ish is fine. I knew if I listed a $750 limit, my friendly advisors would recommend $1,500 systems.

I see the "Transformer System" but I do not know which part is the "Transformer bar".
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 03-10-2016 at 12:25 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Does anybody here use the Trent Bosch visualizer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Does anybody here use the Trent Bosch visualizer?
    I use one I put together myself using a small video camera and a TV. Love it and would not go back to a Laser!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

Very nice setup, and thank you for the reply.

B.jpg Home made version, cost $50, with laser $8 more. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post

I see the "Transformer System" but I do not know which part is the "Transformer bar".
    Ron, the red circled part in picture below is the transformer bar. It can be used in the Gizmo articulated hollowing system. Other hollowing bars can be used in the Gizmo too.
    Transformer.JPG

I have the Gizmo and like it a lot. I use it with John Jordan hollowing bars. I bought the transformer bar, but never got the hang of using it in the Gizmo.

The transformer cutter adjustment is the tricky part. As you change from cutting across the bottom to cutting the side you must adjust the twist of the carbide cutter to keep it from self feeding. The carbide cutter is like a Hunter cutter so it is a round disc edge. You need to keep the edge parallel to the surface being cut. It is difficult to explain in words on the forum. I went to a one week class at Campbell with Rudy Lopez and learned to visualize the cut and make the needed adjustment. Really like the Gizmo but prefer other cutter bars that are so particular about their adjustment. I have a shielded hook tool that works really well.

Hold on a second folks... I understand Monster my not be finished just yet! I think they might have underestimated the response they receive concerning closing the business. I can't say for sure at this point but I hope they reopen!
    Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

I had a very good correspondence and call with Tom at JT Tools about the Gizmo. It looks great, but the 3 parts total over $1,000 (Transformer, Gizmo, and Laser). So at this moment, I am planning two directions - to see if I can afford it, and keeping my eyes open to see if there are other options.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Can you send me a list of parts, or a drawing for your system? (PM me if you can). I would love to get back into hollowing on my new G0766, but costs are prohibitive. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Giacomo View Post
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Giacomo View Post

Tim - are those hooks on the ends of your turning tools?

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Can you send me a list of parts, or a drawing for your system? (PM me if you can). I would love to get back into hollowing on my new G0766, but costs are prohibitive. Thanks.
    Tom, at this point you might as well start a new thread-- your rig has caught my attention too!
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    Tom, at this point you might as well start a new thread-- your rig has caught my attention too!
    And many others.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Vince Welch View Post
    Hold on a second folks... I understand Monster my not be finished just yet! I think they might have underestimated the response they receive concerning closing the business. I can't say for sure at this point but I hope they reopen!
    Vince
    Vince....I sure hope they reconsider opening. I had planned to purchase several cutters, scrapers and a captured system from them and another boring bar. I have the articulated system now, and with my bigger lathe, I could use a new post that fits inside the base to extend the reach on my 22" swing lathe.

I believe there are a lot of turners who would get a monster system if they felt the company would be able to continue support and parts.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!