Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now what is the best articulated system?

Now what is the best articulated system?

Now that the owners of Monster Lathe Tools have gone on to other tasks in life, here is my follow-up question:

What are your recommendations now for best hollowing system?

My needs:
    I will put it on my future Grizzly 0766.
    Purchasing by the summer.
    Something that does not extend far beyond the end of the lathe.
    I do not need one of the specialized systems for 18" reach. My largest vessels are 11" reach on a pitcher 12" x 5". (I make these now in 2 parts using a hand-held John Jordan hollower).
    I had planned on getting the Monster articulated system with the largest bar.
    I was planning on spending $540. I do not want to spend much more than that, but I have some flexibility if needed.
    My emphasis on all of my equipment is on smoothness and reliability.

Thank you for your good advice.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

This thread is somewhat dated, but I doubt the field has changed much - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?194517-HELP-in-choosing-a-hollowing-system

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    This thread is somewhat dated, but I doubt the field has changed much - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?194517-HELP-in-choosing-a-hollowing-system
    That thread lead me to here: http://www.tobinhillturning.com/tools/ now I want to know more! lol

Brian, thanks for starting this thread.

I am also considering a hollowing system and am interested in identifying the "best of class" from which I can base my own design. I intend to build my own. I picked up 10' of 1" x 1" hot roll (steel) bar yesterday for the articulated bar. My starting point is the "Capt. Eddie Castelin Snake hollowing system".

I have also seen the ads and video's from Harrison specialties and think that it looks nice and is reasonably priced. http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/s...r-woodturning/

In the past I built a captive hollowing tool rest loosely based on the Carter system and found it useful for smaller vessels. It does not use an articulating arm and its low mass allows it to chatter a bit.

I will be eagerly following the responses to your post. I am hoping that there may be some responses from people who have actually built something. But it seems (IMHO) like serious wood turners seldom have much interest in welding and machining.

It I was choosing today I would go with Trent Bosch system. In light of the Kobra being hard to get and monster out of business. Trent sells other tools also so he doesn't solely rely on just the hollowing system. He is pretty young as well so I don't think he is going anywhere any time soon. I admit I am biased he is in our club and I have worked with him on projects. Great system though.

I have the JT Turning Tools Gizmo system and now that I better understand it really like it. You can either get their Transformer" cutting bar system or you can put any 5/8" or 3/4" cutting bar into the articulated arm.

JT Turning tools rig is a bit above your price, but it is without a doubt the best made system I have seen. Trent's system was described by him as a 'training' system not a production system when I saw him at a symposium.

I have not seen the Harrison Specialties system in person, but it appears to be much lighter than the JT Turning system. It has a 1/2" boring bar as opposed to the 5/8" or 3/4" of the Gizmo. As such I would suspect that its hollowing depth is more limited. The tools as advertised claim a 12" total length. Part of that length would be inside the receiver. I'm not sure what the length of the transformer bar is.

I have a Captive system (part Lyle Jameison, part home brew, part other manufacturers boring bars) that will do if hand held gets too difficult.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have the Gizmo and is like a Monster on steroids, but it is a bit pricey. Trent's system is fairly reasonable on price and has a small advantage of easy of set up. Once the height collar is set for your banjo, you shouldn't have to adjust it again. It is also pretty beefy. One down side to it (small) is that it has a small platform that the "arm" glides across instead of a tool rest and so the metal to metal contact is slightly less "fluid" than a true articulated system like Monster of JT Tools' Gizmo. I don't think it is enough to worry about but thought I would mention it. Similar to a captured rig in some aspects.

I use Trent's boring bars in my Gizmo but had to have a reducer (or two) made to fit those 1/2 bars. I like a small opening and so use small diameter bars.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie Johnson View Post
    That thread lead me to here: http://www.tobinhillturning.com/tools/ now I want to know more! lol
    I have the JT Turning Tools Gizmo and am quite pleased with it. Quite a bit stronger then the Monster. I particularly like the strength of his square bars.
    The negative is you can't do a super small hole with them. But for deep reach they're very solid.

The one you mentioned by Alan Trout of Tobin Hill Turning is very impressive. The machining is excellent and it is smooth as a baby's behind. I think the price is pretty steep but you get what you pay for. I don't hollow enough to need that level of system, but if I did I would seriously consider it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I've got this one. I've been very pleased with the result. It's the only one I've ever owned or tried. Beefy and well built with a 3/4" bar.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D5H88G?keywords=hollow%20fast&m=A2F8KAB7F15GZF &qid=1457560014&ref_=sr_1_3&s=merchant-items&sr=1-3

Go with the Harrison system I have it and really like it. I went with the goose neck version and I would get the 9/16" straight tool as well.

Another vote for JT Turning Tools 'Gizmo'. It's extremely stout and built to last. Customer service is great as well!
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I have sent an e-mail to find out about costs. What price range is the Gizmo?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I have sent an e-mail to find out about costs. What price range is the Gizmo?

If I remember correctly, it was about $625 when I priced it at the GA symposium. That includes the TransFormer bar. Check with Tom Steyer. I think the price varies a little depending on the base.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

do most systems nowadays have the laser option?
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost