Thread: Two new friends

Two new friends

Well, I came across two nice planes recently in a flea market and I'm glad I didn't keep walking. I'm not sure but I think the jack is a Wards Master no.7 and I don't know what the rabbet plane is. After hours of sanding rust, filing nicks, replacing screws, and sharpening the iron, I can take the jack and make paper with it. I will probably re-stain the totes. Now I've got to start on the rabbet plane, luckily it doesn't need much work. It is "rabbet plane" isn't it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brent Cutshall; 03-07-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    There is barely any of the lateral adjuster visible, but it looks like your Wards Master may be made by Stanley.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Oh, sorry Jim, here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There is barely any of the lateral adjuster visible, but it looks like your Wards Master may be made by Stanley.

jtk
    I would concur...I have a non Stanley #5 and the Tote is further back in the sole. Looks Stanley to me also.

Y'all think maybe someone put a Wards Master cap on it? Forgive me if I sound like a greenhorn, my foot's just started in the door of the world of planes but boy am I warming up to planes. Yeah, the lateral adjuster looks like it's Stanley made.

Blog Entries
    I may have been wrong. That looks more like the folded end used by Sargent.

Would actually need to see more, but it looks more like a Sargent made plane. Not sure if Sargent used the rib at the heel and toe of the body.

Here is a site with some information on Sargent planes:

http://www.horizontalheavens.com/418...Comparison.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    Y'all think maybe someone put a Wards Master cap on it? Forgive me if I sound like a greenhorn, my foot's just started in the door of the world of planes but boy am I warming up to planes. Yeah, the lateral adjuster looks like it's Stanley made.
    All of the major plane makers also made planes for retail outlets with private brands.

jtk