Thread: Spray Painting interior doors....

Spray Painting interior doors....

All,

I want to "recoat" some of our doors this fall....about 4-6 doors.

These are 6 panel, 7-0 x 3-0 solid birch commercial doors = heavy..

Anywho, I brushed them all about 10 years ago when we built - but now have the urge to use one of these HLVP??? guns....

I have a air compressor. The paint is cream colored oil based.

What's a GOOD gun brand - and how much does it cost.....(or else I may keep brushing... )
    THanks!!!

Well...there are a bunch of them. But I bought the Wagner HVLP Conversion gun. And it's great you're using oil-based since you can thin it "just right" for spraying...something I did for an outdoor patio set a couple years ago with great success. (I have not had pleasing results with latex paint with the standard projector set) The Wagner gun costs about $129, which is a bargan, IMHO, for what you get. (Very much like the much more expensive Sata gun) Many folks buy it from Gleem Paint, which was hit hard by Katrina, but is back up and running as of a few days ago. I also have a review of the gun on my site. Other guns that folks mention often are those that Jeff Jewitt sells (Homestead Finishing).
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Well...there are a bunch of them. ...
    Amen to that!

Hey, Jim. Have you had any experience with the PC PSH1 gun? I've got a Husky gravity-feed gun that works fine with lacquer and thinned poly but just doesn't handle heavier material. I ordered the PC along with a larger needle kit which I should receive the end of next week.

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

How much you wanna spend?

Have you been to a profressional source? You have two choices of HVLP's. The conversion gun that runs off a compressor. or the self contained unit that has it's own compressor; it's quite a bit more expensive. Remember, a HVLP is high velocity, low pressure. That's tip pressure @ about 8 psi. Your compressor is set much higher, about 70-80 psi. I recommend a regulator between the hose and the gun. These spray guns are wonderful, but not for all paints. You will have great success with alkyd, lacquers, poly, and shellac. The overspray is about 20% of a reagular siphon gun. You'll still need a respirator and if you do a lot of indoor spraying, an exhaust system. Take this tip with you when you spray alkyd enamel. When you reduce the enamel, about 30-50% to get a good flow, it will dry with less of a shine than if you brushed it. High gloss isn't after it's cut and sprayed. Low luster falls to just above flat. It's the nature of the beast. Oh, and sand all those brush strokes from those old doors first
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I have a Wagner Wide Shot Plus 2200psi electric paint sprayer. I have been very successfull with Latex (but a lot of overspray) How might it work on those doors with oil-based paint?