Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected uses for laser

Delrin does do well, doesn't it? I have also had good results with 3-ply baltic birch for "temporary" use stamps. One fun thing I did was engrave a pic of Reagan in 3D mode (into wood) to produce an actual portrait stamp - it worked surprisingly well.

added [crumby cell phone] picture...

Untitled-1.jpg
    Last edited by Chris DeGerolamo; 11-09-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Ive engraved a leather mat for the Fanorona "board" game, Frag Plug stands for growing coral, light sabre internal parts, Rifle cleaning stand . Gaskets for farm machinery ( Chesterton gasket take 3 cuts ).
    Last edited by bill liscombe; 11-09-2016 at 11:46 AM.

3. I did some surface cleaning/prep tests with steel and aluminum using my 30W fiber laser - works pretty good! I was using a 110mm lens, 90% power. A second pass on the steel actually removed the pitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLdP4xL5Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRDJXRfjl20

I needed an exhaust gadget for my tractor. One day while cutting carbon fibre for aircraft brakes, I thought why not an exhaust gasket? Made a spare too, but the original one is working great even after several years of use.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I was working on installing a patio door and the brackets for my vertical blinds broke so I went out and cut some out of 25 mm clear acrylic

I'm new with the fiber metal 20w laser. 2 weeks with it. I'm making a custom design on stainless steel bottle then I sell it in my page on instagram
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-06-2018 at 8:11 AM.

I have been cutting gaskets for many years. Most recently I cut gaskets for a sulky style tractor built in the 1930's. The carburetor gaskets were very small and delicate, cut them from file folder material. In this case making the gaskets was the only option, they are not available anymore. I made a few other gaskets for this machine that my friend is rebuilding. Awhile back I shared pictures of the wheels we rebuilt, the original rims were rotted away so we found newer wheels and robbed the rims by welding them to the original spokes.

Last week I engraved a toilet tank lid in the Triumph, as an experiment for a new customer- I was hoping the fiber would engrave it, but it turns out vitreous china is pretty much Kryptonite to my fiber at least- but 80 watts and slow going chewed thru the surface quite nicely. Painted the logo with 2 colors of enamel and it looked really nice when it was done-

But this tank lid was just a test to see if I could engrave the actual product: Urinals... And yes, they're new

They're going in the bathrooms of our county's new Mosquito Abatement District's building. When I'm done, there'll be a big black mosquito engraved in the bottom to.... you know

And because of the Triumph's no-moving-table design and my alterations, setup will be no big deal...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So I have these little things on my arm, the dermatologist takes off with liquid nitrogen. Which would be better the co2 or fiber laser? Low power of course.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So I have these little things on my arm, the dermatologist takes off with liquid nitrogen. Which would be better the co2 or fiber laser? Low power of course.
    I think you would need a lot more power that way the arm comes off with one pass

C02 Bill

One of my customers last week, honestly, wanted me to let her put her hand under the fiber beam... first, I explained the fiber was the wrong wavelength for engraving organics like her hand, second, do you see what it's doing to that piece of metal there?? And third, a 30w C02 that IS the right wavelength for meat, even at 1% power, I can only imagine what that would feel like! She assured me she's probably endured worse. I've known her for years, and she probably has!

I know that tattoo removal by laser is pretty spendy, what does one charge for tattoo application by laser?
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

12. when I laser engraved my cookies I thought they tasted funny loving this thread though. Im not the only one that has tried food

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Holmes View Post
    I did some surface cleaning/prep tests with steel and aluminum using my 30W fiber laser - works pretty good! I was using a 110mm lens, 90% power. A second pass on the steel actually removed the pitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLdP4xL5Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRDJXRfjl20
    Dayamm. That really removes stuff. Cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    I needed an exhaust gadget for my tractor. One day while cutting carbon fibre for aircraft brakes, I thought why not an exhaust gasket? Made a spare too, but the original one is working great even after several years of use.
    So many uses, so little time. Its the programming that takes forever, and laser cut time only only seconds. But we still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I was working on installing a patio door and the brackets for my vertical blinds broke so I went out and cut some out of 25 mm clear acrylic
    Perfect use!!!! one inch thick acrylic? Really? If it works, then cool. Never underestimate thickness. You can just do multiple passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Alali View Post
    I'm new with the fiber metal 20w laser. 2 weeks with it. I'm making a custom design on stainless steel bottle then I sell it in my page on instagram
    Another great use.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I have been cutting gaskets for many years. Most recently I cut gaskets for a sulky style tractor built in the 1930's. The carburetor gaskets were very small and delicate, cut them from file folder material. In this case making the gaskets was the only option, they are not available anymore. I made a few other gaskets for this machine that my friend is rebuilding. Awhile back I shared pictures of the wheels we rebuilt, the original rims were rotted away so we found newer wheels and robbed the rims by welding them to the original spokes.
    Yep, gaskets are truly needed when you weigh the time/expense of ordering custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Last week I engraved a toilet tank lid in the Triumph, as an experiment for a new customer- I was hoping the fiber would engrave it, but it turns out vitreous china is pretty much Kryptonite to my fiber at least- but 80 watts and slow going chewed thru the surface quite nicely. Painted the logo with 2 colors of enamel and it looked really nice when it was done-

But this tank lid was just a test to see if I could engrave the actual product: Urinals... And yes, they're new
    They're going in the bathrooms of our county's new Mosquito Abatement District's building. When I'm done, there'll be a big black mosquito engraved in the bottom to.... you know

And because of the Triumph's no-moving-table design and my alterations, setup will be no big deal...
    I would soooo pee into one of your urinals. Need to right now. Where are they again?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Burn it NOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    C02 Bill

One of my customers last week, honestly, wanted me to let her put her hand under the fiber beam... first, I explained the fiber was the wrong wavelength for engraving organics like her hand, second, do you see what it's doing to that piece of metal there?? And third, a 30w C02 that IS the right wavelength for meat, even at 1% power, I can only imagine what that would feel like! She assured me she's probably endured worse. I've known her for years, and she probably has!

I know that tattoo removal by laser is pretty spendy, what does one charge for tattoo application by laser?
    Sounds like an untapped market. Imagine how fast laser tattoo would be, and how accurate. Just inject Ceramark under the skin, then laser away, then "rinse" the remaining ceramark using liposuction tech. Hurts just typing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie m Pierce View Post
    when I laser engraved my cookies I thought they tasted funny loving this thread though. Im not the only one that has tried food
    Need to install hickory veneer between the laser and the cookie, or the meat, or whatever. I grill with hickory between my flame arrestors and the grate, so think in reverse. The ultimate rare cooking of tenderloin - laser the surface of the filet through hickory veneer for the flavor. Make sure to soak the veneer in water first.

Such cool uses for laser! Lately I have been making my laminates for gun grips and knife handles, but recently marked out my solid CF for cutting with wet diamond. Sent some to Aston Martin today. Laser doesn't cut CF, but it marks it quite well for cutting. I also mark out steel for cutting by sprinkling powder coat powder on the surface, and the laser melts it into the cut lines.

laser-cutting-grips-in-CCF.jpgCCF-Collage.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

I am sure you have all seen the advertised blue or purple ultra small laser in a cube, about the size of the old school childrens wood block with a little fold out stand. Shows a lady burning/engraving a coaster for a gift.... at her desk or the other when a guy is laser marking the foam on top of a cup of coffee. Neither one had safety or protective glasses. This was on Facebook and if its on there it has to be Special.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Not exactly an UN expected use--

Ever since I got this for the wife's birthday a few years ago (and forgive the pics, it was almost dark and the thing needs a wash!)
    wile e0.jpg

--I've wanted to get some Wile E. Coyote emblems for it
    -but all I've found is a white sticker some guy made for his truck-
    wile e3.jpg
    --nah...

I'm supposing trademark issues is why no one's selling them...
    since personal use doesn't constitute infringement, I decided to take a stab at making my own...
    wile e1.jpgwile e2.jpg

Not bad for a first draft- I didn't want just a sticker, so what I did was sandwiched a glossy photo in between 2 pieces of 1/16" thick plex. The adhesive I used was Rustoleum clear enamel. - The tricky part creating the cut path for the laser, and hoping it would line up good- It cut out near perfect. But overall it needs work...

First, the back piece needs to be solid black, the clear is okay but it creates a double-vision mirror image of the car when viewed from the side..
    Second, I either need to cut out the white between his arms and legs, or paint them black on the photo...
    And the clear enamel air-bubbled badly, going to use Loctite Go2 glue next try.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter