Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected uses for laser

Unexpected uses for laser

Since getting my laser, I have found myself using the laser in place of other machining / cutting operations that I need to do, and now have a new mindset when confronted with a part I need, adding "can this be cut / made with the laser?" to my usual list of tools/processes going through my mind.

After seeing the thread about retreading worn out soles on sandals, shoes, boots etc, I have wondered what other uses that those of you (who have had your laser for many years) have come up with.

I recently needed to cut a new gasket for one of my spray guns, and had an extra pc of foamed Teflon from the last gasket I made (with a razor knife - PITA, but it worked), and simply measured it, programed it and cut it perfectly with the laser.

Another time, I needed two bushings for a mini paint roller to accept larger DIA paint roller tubes - laser did it perfectly from acrylic.

What other cool shop uses have you all come up with?

Just thought of this: Mothers day is coming up quick, and need to make a card for mom from the laser.

What have you all done? I assume gaskets of all sorts, maybe some rubber washers of certain shapes / thickness.

Gotta bunch of Baltic birch in the ready, waiting for some future uses besides my templates.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

I cut some little ABS oval screw covers for the trim round the windshield on an old car when the old ones broke during removal. I have made several acrylic inserts for different sewing machines for my wife. The most fun has been engraving food, such as cookies, Halloween Jack-o-Lanterns bananas (peels) and a few others.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I cut some little ABS oval screw covers for the trim round the windshield on an old car when the old ones broke during removal. I have made several acrylic inserts for different sewing machines for my wife. The most fun has been engraving food, such as cookies, Halloween Jack-o-Lanterns bananas (peels) and a few others.
    $12 worth of work on a 30 cent cookie

Halloween Jack-o-Lanterns bananas (peels) and a few others.
    OOOhh - pumpkin carving!! Halloween is not exactly around the corner, but I want to see how deep a laser will cut a pumpkin. Maybe ill try a zucchini. Maybe make square pancakes. Maybe make star shaped pancakes.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Haven't done it yet but was thinking of cutting leather tap washers. I've got some old belts lying around.

6. I've recently discovered you can engrave a design into Delrin, then use the Delrin as a die to stamp designs into leather. Works surprisingly well.

Bob
    Trotec Speedy 400 100w w/ Rotary attachment
    .................................................. .......................
    For custom framing: Pistorius double miter saw, Bienfang 4468, Inmes IM-5P underpinner, etc.
    For fun: Miller mig welder, Lincoln tig welder, Hypertherm plasma cutter.
    For photography: Phase 1 P65+, Epson 9800, Epson 7900, 3 Shinko dye subs

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    $12 worth of work on a 30 cent cookie

My own homemade sugar cookies, for fun, not profit.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

If you want to see some stupid uses for the laser check out, Will it Laser on you tube.
    They even laser on human skin.

Check out the following thread that Joe started some time ago.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...uses-for-laser

Since then, I have made countless gaskets for various vintage vehicles. (Including the cute little red one above..) I have made more measuring tools out of acrylic to help with alignment. I made an elbow pad harness for a senior dog - cut the fabric & foam shapes on the laser and stitched it together. Now she's set for the roller derby. Made some tissue box holders out of scrap alder wood to cover those stylish cardboard tissue boxes.

While the laser isn't always the right tool for the job, sometimes it makes the job more fun. :-)
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I do a lot of tab and slot construction of wooden things. I also do live hinges in wood. Made some lovely wood veneer christmas cards that way.
    Trotec Speedy 100 45w
    Corel Draw x4
    Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Solidworks 2014
    Owner: Cubit-cubes, Shotgun-shots
    Manufacturing Engineer & Designer

It was already programmed, so . . .

Had a lot of bills to pay today, needed to open a dozen envelopes and the laser was already set up to cut veneer . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc

My own homemade sugar cookies, for fun, not profit.
    You could also figure out the settings for raster or engraving that will bake the cookie and then vector cut it. I can see the sign now--- Custom Laser Cookies ---- while you wait?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

A little off topic but I believe this is a hand held laser.... as a RUST remover....

Has a interesting possibility if you cut a foil mask like a sand blasting mask....

https://www.facebook.com/Ads305Miami...3660573358655/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 03-13-2016 at 2:47 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Blog Entries
    I like the Rust Remover Al!!! Very cool.

I am afraid the limit of my silliness on the laser so far has been lasering our dog's name on his biscuits for his Birthday. His tail was wagging hard and he snarfed them down as fast as he could so I am sure he appreciated the effort.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

+1 on that hand held laser. I had no idea they existed. I always wondered if you could get a handheld unit. similar in danger to a nail gun - you have to intentionally shoot someone, although it looks like you could get accidentally hurt or hurt others too easily.

Otherwise - for the certified professional, that system is awesome!!! Maybe they will make a single beam unit for cutting thin materials on a jobsite. I am currently cutting wood veneers, and there is no way any other tool (razor knife, veneer saw, T-saw) will cut veneers as well, or as fast. I simply program a straight line cut, and feed the veneers in to a stop block or by eye. Gotta be similar needs for a portable unit at a construction site, like cutting insulation or something.

Al - is there any more info on this unit? the FB video didn't seem to link to any company. Nevermind - I found them - Worldlasers.com - Surface Preparation & Cleaning with Laser Machines
    Laser cleaning Machine: Laser cleaning technology provides a safe, environmentally friendly and very cost effective way to improve cleaning, surface preparation and paint removal processes. Laser Cleaning applications & advantages at Worldlasers.com.
    worldlasers.com
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc