Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keyless Chuck for Drill Press?

Keyless Chuck for Drill Press?

Hey Folks,

i am am considering buying a keyless chuck for my drill press. I have a Jet floor standing drill press - 17" I believe. Can you guys recommend a keyless chuck and arbor that will fit this DP? Is it an improvement? I realize that a keyed chuck isn't exactly a huge time sink, but I like the idea of tightening a bit down by hand and not having to reach for the key. If it's a bad idea let me know.

Thanks all! Your feedback is much appreciated.

Joe

You'd be surprised how much chuck time you might accumulate.
    Fastening 2 metal plates together:
    Spot>drill>maybe ream>countersink>chamfer side 2, on the piece that accepts the head of the fastener.
    On the piece that gets tapped: Spot>drill>optional ream, chamfer x 2 sides>tap.
    May 7-10 chages/fastener = many chances to get pinched by the chuck gears.
    Albrecht.

Have used a keyless chuck on my DP for years! Bought it from Grizzly. In some cases, a keyed chuck gives a better grip, but I haven't had an issue with up to 2 1/2 forstner bits. YMMV.

Blog Entries
    I also have been keyless since I can remember. I have been running a chuck that Woodcraft used to sell for about $35. Its been a decade and it is still going strong. Quality keyless chucks can cost more than my drill press so just consider the DP you are putting it on. Regardless of your choice I would be hard pressed to go back to a keyed chuck. I loath every time I have to use dad's DP when I am visiting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mine has had the Woodcraft keyless chuck on it for a long time and never had a problem , so another vote for keyless .

I have both but I prefer a keyed chuck on my drill presses, especially when drilling steel. I know some people get frustrated hunting for the key. I drill a hole in the top right corner of the pulley cover and the key is always there.

Albrecht is the top of the food chain in Keyless chucks. Jacobs makes some also, but I prefer the Albrecht. If you want cheaper but better than some no-name Chinese stuff, look for Rohm. I own all three brands and have used them in the machine shop for 40+ years.

For those who use a keyless chuck, how hard do you have to turn it to secure the bit.

I would love a keyless chuck, but with arthritis I wonder if I can tighten it effectively.

I am also looking for a replacement chuck for my Jet DP.

Some of the keyless ones go down to 1/16" or smaller. I'd consider whether or not you need that "feature". I have it on my DP, and it makes it very hard to find the "center". I often pinch bits between two jaws (rather than in the center of the 3) because the 1/16" center grip area is so small. I imagine it also reduces clamping force on larger bits.

I have 2 drill presses. I installed a keyless chuck on 1 of them. I find the keyless chuck, well, OK. I don't seem to prefer one over the other.

Your drill has a tapered arbor that the chuck presses onto, or it has a Morse taper socket in the end of the arbor. You need to know what taper it is, so you can get the correct replacement. You will also need to get the current chuck off. This is usually done with wedges made for the task.

Keyless chucks have a capacity range. If you want to grip bits around 1/16", then the maximum size will be around 1/2". If you want to grip 5/8" bits, then the minimum size will be around 5/32". Keep that in mind when selecting a chuck.

John

" how hard do you have to turn it"
    About like turning a door knob.

A keyless chuck can "self tighten" so in that instance you won't likely have a strong enough grip to loosen it. A strap wrench works good in that instance. As has been said already Albrecht is the best followed by Jacobs. I would just get a new arbor to go with it rather than deal with separating the two. Morse taper arbors aren't that expensive and you can get the one that is matched to your chuck. You won't regret upgrading to keyless. Here is a dead link to a PSI on Amazon. I have a PSI and it seems acceptable in quality for wood working.

amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-Products-TM32KL-Keyless/dp/B004CVJC3E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1457304884&sr=8-5&keywords=keyless+drill+chuck
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 03-06-2016 at 5:57 PM.

Our powermatic came with a keyless chuck

Albrecht is the stuff. If you are going to go, go good!

Guess I will not get an Albrecht Chuck. Just a little out of my price range. Would have a hard time justifying $300-500 for a chuck.

Which Grizzly chuck have people had good luck with?