Thread: Solvent for Drawer Slide Grease

Solvent for Drawer Slide Grease

I don't usually use drawer slides in my furniture but that's what the client requested. In the process of installing the slides I've managed to get greasy little finger prints all over the place. Can anyone recommend a solvent to remove the grease from the wood? My first thought was mineral spirits but I'm sure someone must know exactly what to use. I don't have anything on hand to experiment with. The wood is Sapele and the drawer slides are 100 lb. full extension slides from Lee Valley in case that matters.

Thanks,

Darren

never used solvent, just always sanded the marks off. afraid the solvent might soak the grease in further.in the future try wiping the slides down before handling them. i know too little, too late.

Darren, I typically wash the slides off with mineral spirits before installing them because they are extremely greasy when I get them. I am not sure if or how that might effect the finish you have on your drawers.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Same here; mineral spirits works for me to take my greasy finger prints off finished surfaces after handling the slides.

John

Thanks for the answers guys. I picked up some "odorless" mineral spirits and that worked like a charm. In the end I wiped down both entire pieces with mineral spirits and it revealed some stray glue spot ghosting that I was able to remove with a card scraper. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise!