Thread: Jet JJP 12, Very Close to Purchase, Need Help on Potential Table Removal

Jet JJP 12, Very Close to Purchase, Need Help on Potential Table Removal

Hi All,

I could use a hand and this seems like a pretty good place to ask for one. :-) I'm a relative newbie to woodworking and have been fiddling around in my little shop for a few years. I'm very close to purchasing a Jet JJP 12 (I've read reviews and such 'till blue in the face), but need help with the idea of removing the tables. I saw postings by both Curt Harm and Fred Vorhees, both of which I think have done that. (It's a basement shop with a flight of steps that turns 90 degrees in the middle - UGH).

Two things...I would really like to actually speak with someone that lives relatively nearby (I'm in Denville, NJ) to discuss their experience with the machine, and two, perhaps come and see it. (I'll bring beer :-)

Anyone out there that can help?

Sorry to call out Fred and Curt, but you guys seem to have already been through this effort and I would really appreciate your insights.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Paul

Fred is in Ringoes' NJ and Curt is just over the river in Doylestown. Perhaps you can actually hook up with one of them, Paul. Both are great guys.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Couple of most not relevant comments

• I think that you can update your profile to indicate the location (I do see that you state it in your post).
    • Drink the beer AFTER playing with the equipment.
    • never used one, bug I seriously considered getting one

That said, a few links that you have probably already seen

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ar-Adjustments
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Jointer-Setup
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...JP-12-a-review

Also, you can download the manual here:
    http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jjp-...ph-230v/708475

and.....

Welcome to the Creek!

I bought a JJP-12HH several weeks ago and still haven't got it set up. The truck driver couldn't get to my shop and so we put it in my garage. I haven't yet found an economical way to move it. I can say this. The machine is very heavy. I would consider it next to impossible to move it down stairs without partial disassembly. I looked into removing the tables and decided to avoid that option if at all possible. It will not be easy and will create a lot of adjustment and calibration work. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Look in the Amazon review for it, there's a link there that takes you to the online manual and gives you the page numbers for how to take the tables off. Says there are only 6 bolts to remove. But obviously not a solo job.. I would post the link here, but don't want to violate TOS.

I don't think there is a rule against posting links to owner's manuals.

Art is right. The TOSs only prohibit you from posting links to other forums or to a website to which you have a financial interest and you aren't a paid advertiser.

I think this is a link to the proper manual? http://content.jettools.com/assets/m...475_man_EN.pdf
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't understand why people are so afraid of taking machines apart. Many of my machines have been taken apart because that's the only way I could take them to my basement shop.
    I have a 14" J/P and took it apart twice (to take into and then later out of my basement shop). Yes, you have to spend some time and more in adjusting everything properly but makes moving the machine a lot easier. I didn't have a manual to go with. Just make sure you keep track of what goes where.

I am not afraid of disassembling machinery. I just have this aversion to doing useless work. If you actually looked at the assembly drawing of the machine, you might see that disassembly, transportation, reassembly and adjustment of this machine would probably take the better part of a day. That may be what Paul will have to do. On the other hand, if I had a day to work on moving the machine, there are a lot of easier ways to do it than than taking it apart and moving it in pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    I don't understand why people are so afraid of taking machines apart. Many of my machines have been taken apart because that's the only way I could take them to my basement shop.
    I have a 14" J/P and took it apart twice (to take into and then later out of my basement shop). Yes, you have to spend some time and more in adjusting everything properly but makes moving the machine a lot easier. I didn't have a manual to go with. Just make sure you keep track of what goes where.

Sure if there is a safe way to take it down in one piece, but sometimes (especially when there is a 90 degree turn) it is impossible to do it as the machine won't turn in that tight spot.
    Plus, one has to consider if it is to be man handled if there is risk of injury/death. The bare bone base of my J/P (with everything removed from it) was still too heavy and it took 3 big guys to move it out and it wasn't easy for them.

Blog Entries
    Paul...sent you a message. Would love to have you come and check out the Jet...and the shop. Contact me and we can set something up.

Fred
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I bought one 4 or 5 months ago, during the last Jef sale. It took 3 of us to lift it of its pallet and onto the mobile base. I can't imagine taking the thing down stairs!

As an aside to your question here, I've been very pleased. The only thing out of alignment when I received it was the 90° setting on the fence. I had to adjust the stops to allow it to tilt far enough. I was pleasantly surprised.