Thread: Blast gate question

Blast gate question

I am working on my dust collection system and am ready to start using some of the 6"Clearvue blast gates I have purchased. How is everyone fastening them to the pvc pipe? I really don't want to permanently glue them In place....is some type of tape my other option? I am open to any other ideas.

I did not use any glue or fasteners with mine -- 6" S&D pipe should fit snugly and if you are really concerned with them separating, run a bead of clear Silicone caulk around the joint and wait for it to set (24 Hrs) before letting them hang free. Worse case scenario would be to use a 3/8" long sheet metal screw that secures the two together without penetrating the interior.

Some of mine are just a friction fit. Where necessary, I put in three short sheet metal screws as evenly spaced as I can do (often the pipe is against the wall).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use a 4" flex hose clamp if there is going to be strain on the connection. A couple-three screws also work well.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Friction fit and silicone caulk "to be sure" is what I would do for a product like this. If you don't want to do the caulk, you can also use foil tape to seal, just as we who use metal components do. Strong, but easily changeable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sheet metal screws are cheap and effective and allow for disassembly. Silicone not so much.

If the pipe and gate are hanging verticaly I can tell you from experience that friction fit alone wont do it. I have to crank my hose clamps down pretty hard to keep them in place, I have been meaning to use some machine screws but haven't got around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    Sheet metal screws are cheap and effective and allow for disassembly. Silicone not so much.
    True, but one must be careful with screws that penetrate into the air stream for dust/chip collection because some tools, such as jointer/planer, spit out shavings that can catch on them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...