Thread: Sketchup on Ubuntu?

Sketchup on Ubuntu?

For a variety of reasons I'm trying out Ubuntu on my best machine. Everything's looking pretty good except Sketchup. I'm trying to run it under Wine and know that I need to use the 32bit version with a 32bit Wine prefix. Has anyone gotten this to work? According to this it should, maybe. (Ubuntu 14.04 amd64)

If I have to give up Wine I'll try a virtual machine but that's not my preference.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Who is Ubuntu?

I'm certainly strongly anti-Microsoft and feel that they should have competition. I feel that Windows 7 is a great product for business and Win 8,9,10 have been garbage and intrusive spyware, at best. My brand new HP z640 Workstation is Windows 7, of course, as Windows 8 never existed and Windows 10 is still experimental and not even worth looking at for many months, at best. I use Linux in a variety of way for the things it does best.

HOWEVER, trying to use Linux for a functioning desktop running a wide variety of software such as Sketchup is foolishness, much as I would wish it to be practical. Basically, the cure to the Microsoft problem is worse than the disease.

Using Linux for a productive desktop environment makes about as much sense as most of our current politicians.

I believe David is referring to a particular implementation of the Linux operating system.