Thread: Ryan's Festool JumboMFT

Ryan's Festool JumboMFT

I scored a really nice deal on Craigslist for a used lab workstation:
    JumboMFT_Original.jpg

I figured I could use it for woodworking, since it was made of a sturdy extruded aluminum base. I didn't know at the time, but this workstation was made from 80/20 Inc. extrusions, and probably contains about $800 worth of the material and fasteners. Even cooler, Festool clamps will fit right inside the tracks in 80/20 extrusions... here's an example (not my workstation):
    clamps.jpg

Unfortunately, this workstation was built for a different application, so the clamping channels are "captive," but another cool aspect of 80/20 is the ability to rebuild it like an adult lego set. (Another project for another time.)

I found the work surface to be just about the perfect size for my Festool 75" guide rail, but it was cumbersome to have to slot sacrificial backing boards every time I wanted to make a cut, so I learned a little bit about CAD and created my own top, custom-sized to the workstation and sharing Festool's 20mm hole pattern on 96mm centers:
    JumboMFT_Top.jpg
    I was careful with my measurements to avoid the two "stretcher" extrusions that support the work surface in the middle thirds.

I was able to find a local "Garage CNCer" who sourced the material and cut the top. I had originally requested HDF as I thought it would be a closer match to the Festool top, but he didn't seem to heed my request and instead cut it with MDF. I don't think I'll be using his services in the future.

Here's how it looks today:
    JumboMFT_Current.jpg

Pictured above with a Festool 75" guide rail with Qwas Rail Dogs. The rail dogs are great, and can even be used as a material stop for wider sheets of material. Along with my set of Qwas Dogs, I can quickly make long cuts and adapt it for fast 90 degree crosscuts as well. In fact, the only functionality I really lose (compared to my Festool MFT/3) is the ability to quickly dial in a precise angle; though in practical cases I found doing that to be cumbersome. Having this larger working surface has made it safe to cut larger sheets as well. I can combine my 75" and 55" rails to cut a full-size sheet of plywood with minimal material "hanging off the ends."

Because of the mass of the undercarriage, and the super-grippy feet that came with the workstation, I've even used this bench for planing. Planing and sanding are less of a pain, especially when used with Festool's clamping elements.

When I get some spare time, my plan is to rebuild this table with mitered extrusions along the skirt, to "un-captivate" the clamping channels so they work just like the Festool MFT top:
    JumboMFT_Future1.JPG
    JumboMFT_Future2.jpg

Sadly, I don't have a radial arm saw to perform these cuts, or a drill press for the counterbores. Plus, I didn't find myself using the Festool skirt clamp channels often (the MFT/3 is really not stable enough for edge planing). But perhaps with the sturdiness of this workstation, I will end up using those side clamps more often. Then again, maybe I'll wait for my cabinet saw and adapt this to be an extension or outfeed table... Another project for another day...

Thanks for reading.

Very nice setup. I agree, HDF would've been a little harder to find but would be much more durable than MDF.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney