Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Project: Buffet/Hutch - Completed

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Jim, you do poplar proud!

And I like those Lee Valley hinges!
    Thanks, Mike. My only disappointment with these particular hinges is that they are pretty lightweight. I bought them for the look, but would have preferred something more substantial. It is what it is...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just a couple of questions about this joint: does the tongue actually bottom out in the groove, and if so, did you leave room for wood movement here some other way? I like the look here a lot better than shiplapped boards, but it looks like it could swell a good bit..
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post

Just a couple of questions about this joint: does the tongue actually bottom out in the groove, and if so, did you leave room for wood movement here some other way? I like the look here a lot better than shiplapped boards, but it looks like it could swell a good bit..
    Dan
    You ask a good question. If the assembled panel was glued in place, then wood movement would be an issue. But a back panel like this is assembled dry and held in place by a few brads top an bottom and/or a wooden channel. There's room to expand/contract. The reason the tongue is "bottomed out" is that I wanted the groove between the Vees to be there. It's a design choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

WOW!!! Jim, you continue to be an inspiration for my attempts at getting back into woodworking. This is a fantastic thread. Thanks so much for taking all the extra time and putting in a lot of effort into documenting your project.