Thread: From The Lathe To The Garden

From The Lathe To The Garden

That's our local chapter instant gallery theme for next month's meeting. Other than possibly some sort of a weed pot idea, I've not a clue what else might make an appropriate entry. Any ideas??????

A useful tool is called a Garden Dibbler.....very English ol' chap!

maybe a scoop for potting soil

I turned some little wooden mice out of cypress. Not very useful in the garden, but they look cute. Could also do some mushrooms
    Last edited by Tom Wilson66; 02-25-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added mushrooms
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I've made a bunch of dibbles and gardeners love them. I like to cut grooves every inch for depth measurement. Also sometimes called dibber, dibbler. How about making a set of different sizes, off axis turning for interesting shapes, a matching set made from a variety of woods or decorated differently.

Could also make some strong round stakes with knobs on the top. I use stakes at the corners of garden sections to keep hoses from being pulled over the plants. A knob on the top could let the stake extend less above the ground and keep the hose from slipping off.

JKJ

I turned some fence post type finials out of 4 by 4 and 6 by 6 cedar ends. Used kind of an oriental style to them. Spheres look good, and a hedge hog or two. Sand blast or wire brush to raise the grain, or just let them sit... Stuck them in corners of raised beds. I guess you could to a hollow form type bird feeder too. Might have to glue up, or use turnings as end caps for thistle seeds. Humming bird feeders?

robo hippy

nice ideas..........thanks for your input everyone.

Bring in the shavings and call it mulch!

Seriously though, how about a bird house?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Bring in the shavings and call it mulch!
    +1 but make it a pickup bed full
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

A small garden stool would also be a fun project if you want to get that deeply into it. They have 2 "usual" shapes - one is rather like a drum (hollowed and perforated), the other is a mushroom shape. They are normally ceramic or metal, but artistic license applies here. If you put "garden stool" into google images, you'll get the idea.

Blog Entries
    The other Glenn beat me to it. Dibbler was my knee-jerk reaction.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler