Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Veritas new Small Plow Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Loran View Post
    Thanks for the info Augusto. I sent mine in on March 5th and am eagerly waiting its return. I was wondering about how long it would take (I assume return mail is the longest leg of the trip).
    Hi Brian -

A lot depends on the volumes we receive, but shipping to and from should still be the majority of the time.

Cheers -

Rob

Hi all, I'm not much of a poster, more an occasional visitor (lurker?), however

I just received my upgraded small plow yesterday and I am a happy camper.

The upgraded depth stop mount alone is worth the price of admission. (Especially since that part is free!) It works so much better than the original. My only regret is that I had had to use a pair of pliers on the knurled brass screw previously. No big deal, just cosmetic. "Finger tight" now holds tenaciously.

Since there are no beading cutters available in my area yet I tried using a set from an old Record 50C combination plane. They fit fine if you remove the depth adjuster screw from the small plow. First try, 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" and even 3/8" beads were near perfect with no drama. Veritas is only advertising 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 but since I had the other sized cutters, why not try? Much easier to use, more reliable and more consistent than the 50C. I even managed a 1/2" bead but not one you would call furniture quality. Perhaps with a little more practice and tweaking of technique 1/2" beads would be practical. I'm thinking perhaps of a way to design a sub-fence.????!!!

All in all, I'm delighted with the upgrade. Now if we could just convince computer companies and auto companies to offer upgrade packages in the same spirit as this one! Thanks to Lee Valley for this.

Best,
    John

Thanks Rob. Understood.

Well criminy Rob, Me ME ME!

Jon

I'm dropping mine in the mail tomorrow if the weather permits.

WOW!! What an offer.
    Last edited by Tim Geary; 03-21-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Dear Mr Lee,

Could I please request that the Australian distributor carbatec be enabled to provide the oppotunity for me to get a box to pack my plane and return it for regrinding?

thanks
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

If someone wants to try the plane, and report back to the board, I'd be glad to send out a loaner...

Just post "ME ME ME!" in this thread.... *

Cheers -

Rob

*(in North America pls!)
    ME ME ME!

Happy to give it a test drive and report back my findings. Just be certain to let me know how detailed to be and to whom I should report In other words, respond only to Lee Valley, or free to respond on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    ME ME ME!

Happy to give it a test drive and report back my findings. Just be certain to let me know how detailed to be and to whom I should report In other words, respond only to Lee Valley, or free to respond on the board.
    If it happens to wander into your shop....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    If it happens to wander into your shop....

Yeah, if it does, you will know about it!

Will see!

Ummm - Jon and Andrew....

My fault for not being clear - but there's only one plane to send out...

I will be glad to send it to you when it get's back here though.... you'll be #'s 3 and 4 on the list....!

If you're good with that, I'll make it happen....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crowe View Post
    Dear Mr Lee,

Could I please request that the Australian distributor carbatec be enabled to provide the oppotunity for me to get a box to pack my plane and return it for regrinding?

thanks
    Paul
    Hi Paul,

We're trying to work that out right now. What we're selling in North America is the regrinding plus shipping two ways for $59. As you can imagine, freight two ways from Australia, plus customs charges, adds up to significantly higher costs than it does here.

If you can wait a bit - we'll have something figured out soon...you have not been forgotten (or Germany, or the Uk, or....)

Cheers -

Rob

Ummm - Jon and Andrew....

My fault for not being clear - but there's only one plane to send out...

I will be glad to send it to you when it get's back here though.... you'll be #'s 3 and 4 on the list....!

If you're good with that, I'll make it happen....

Cheers -

Rob
    I am very good with that, but, to be clear, I am also good with your saying that it is not required.

Hi Paul,

We're trying to work that out right now. What we're selling in North America is the regrinding plus shipping two ways for $59. As you can imagine, freight two ways from Australia, plus customs charges, adds up to significantly higher costs than it does here.

If you can wait a bit - we'll have something figured out soon...you have not been forgotten (or Germany, or the Uk, or....)

Cheers -

Rob
    If all else fails do you think you could get Vic Tesolin to bring a box out to Australia when he comes and then take it back with him

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crowe View Post
    If all else fails do you think you could get Vic Tesolin to bring a box out to Australia when he comes and then take it back with him
    Hi Paul -

I'd be glad to load Vic's luggage with cast iron....really!

The problem there is that it can create customs problems. For our staff, the ability to travel freely trumps (in the card sense, not the GOP sense) any direct commercial need. We always tell the truth at customs - and you learn very quickly to never take commercial goods with you....!

I'll be speaking with our export manager today about progress with the process...and will pass along an update.

Cheers -

Rob