Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Veritas new Small Plow Plane

Hi -

If someone wants to try the plane, and report back to the board, I'd be glad to send out a loaner...

Just post "ME ME ME!" in this thread.... *

Cheers -

Rob

*(in North America pls!)

Alright, I'll bite. ME ME ME! I'm a newer to the neander way but would be happy to post an honest report!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Alright, I'll bite. ME ME ME! I'm a newer to the neander way but would be happy to post an honest report!
    Hi Andrew -

Brave guy....

Shoot me your shipping address at rlee@leevalley.com , and I'll have a plane sent out to you!

Cheers -

Rob

PS - don't forget to mention RH or LH!!!

I didn't even think about including RH while I was sending you my mailing address!

Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    If someone wants to try the plane, and report back to the board, I'd be glad to send out a loaner...

*(in North America pls!)
    Us third world guys cannot be trusted
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

Just post "ME ME ME!" in this thread.... *

Cheers -

Rob

*(in North America pls!)
    Aha. Poor poor Malaysian woodworker.....

I just received the small plough with cutters. I did not get the wide conversion kit/beading setup because it wasn't available yet. I had been waiting a few months to get the plough ever since the first teaser that Rob gave us to "wait a bit before ordering the small plough".

I have used it in it's regular duties to cut a groove for a simple drawer bottom. I had in the past used an old stanley 45, that worked fine, but never was convenient to use... I did alot of research and all of you recommended the LV small plough.

Oh my, I am in love with this thing. You simply can't compare the efficiency and feel of this tool, to the old ones. Now, the wood probably does not know the difference... But, I Love the perfection I felt when I was using this tool.

About the new depth stop, I have no experience with the old one, but the plane I have now, that sucker tightens down fine. I tried a test board where I cut a groove to depth, then I purposefully attempted to see if it would slip by attempting to be rougher with the passes, and attempting to lean into the depth stop just a bit. Not crazy, but rougher than I would be with it in normal use... and, no problems.

I don't know how scientific that test was or whatever, and I am not near as experienced as you guys on this board, but that was my experience with the tool.

I currently use a flat head screw through a block of wood as my "beading" tool... I would like to eventually add this capacity, but haven't taken that leap yet.

While I'm here, I wanted to ask this. I watched a Paul Sellers video (he loves the LV Small Plough) and saw him put a board in a vise with it's long edge up. He pinched the board together with a scrap piece of pine for additional support/backing. Then, he setup the LV Small Plough to cut a groove like normal; half in the workpiece, half in the pine. The result was actually cutting a long grain rabbet in the workpiece. I thought this was brilliant. Can anyone else expand on this technique, or can say they have used it with success? I had never seen it before.

Blog Entries
    While I'm here, I wanted to ask this. I watched a Paul Sellers video (he loves the LV Small Plough) and saw him put a board in a vise with it's long edge up. He pinched the board together with a scrap piece of pine for additional support/backing. Then, he setup the LV Small Plough to cut a groove like normal; half in the workpiece, half in the pine. The result was actually cutting a long grain rabbet in the workpiece. I thought this was brilliant. Can anyone else expand on this technique, or can say they have used it with success? I had never seen it before.
    Nick,

There will always be people who find uses for a tool or other device the maker may not have considered.

I am not familiar with the mechanics of the Veritas Small Plow plane. Someone beat me to Rob Lee's offer of a test drive. Currently I have plenty of different planes able to do plowing or rabbeting.

with the Stanley #45 the fence can be set so the blade is above its top side. This allows a wide blade to be used to cut a rabbet of any size without needing a sacraficial spacer as Paul Sellers used.

Another method may be to attach a piece of wood to the fence. Cut a slot to allow the blade to ride inside the fence so a rabbet can be cut with the blade being wider than the work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Nick,

(snip) Someone beat me to Rob Lee's offer of a test drive. Currently I have plenty of different planes able to do plowing or rabbeting.

(snip)
    Hi Jim -

I'll ask Andrew to send it to you, when he's done trying it.... if you like...

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    ...While I'm here, I wanted to ask this. I watched a Paul Sellers video (he loves the LV Small Plough) and saw him put a board in a vise with it's long edge up. He pinched the board together with a scrap piece of pine for additional support/backing. Then, he setup the LV Small Plough to cut a groove like normal; half in the workpiece, half in the pine. The result was actually cutting a long grain rabbet in the workpiece. I thought this was brilliant. Can anyone else expand on this technique, or can say they have used it with success? I had never seen it before.
    I never tried that technique, I might try it for an endgrain rabbet (I have plowed grooves on endgrain). I do use my LV Small Plow to do long grain rabbets. As I read Derek Cohen's inthewoodshop.com , I use some of his tricks. He added a larger fence board with a notch for the blade, it made sense so I did it. He also clamps his boards with the edge flush to the edge of the bench for better registration of the fence, I do too, the depth stop then works by riding on the face of the board when doing a rabbet (same as with a groove).
    Last edited by John Schtrumpf; 03-17-2016 at 8:55 PM.

I'll be happy to send it along after a test drive. It's the least I can do!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rob and Andrew.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think someone in this thread (or another related one?) feared getting the plane back after sending it would take a while. So, FYI, I ordered the new blades and the replacement kit as soon as it was advertised online (I think I read it on the Pop Woodworking blog; a few weeks earlier than my official letter, which arrived in the mail last week). I got the blades shortly after ordering and then got the mailing kit for the body of the plane. Today I got it back with the modifications done (including the improved depth stop), and certainly much cleaner than how I sent it to them.

That was some quick turnaround, but again, Lee Valley always raises the bar for other retailers on this matter. Good stuff!

Thanks for the info Augusto. I sent mine in on March 5th and am eagerly waiting its return. I was wondering about how long it would take (I assume return mail is the longest leg of the trip).