Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Veritas new Small Plow Plane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bjorgen View Post
    This is a very good upgrade. I tried some Stanley 45 beading cutters in my newly purchased LV plow a while back and couldn't get them to work. I wonder now if they might work after the upgrade, which I'll do.

Thanks, Lee Valley!
    I have never held or seen the LV plow plane. I do know the beading cutters can be a problem for folks on the Stanley 45 for which they were made. The runner (or skates) have to be clear of the blade's edges. If there is even a little bit peeking over the edge, the cutter will not be able to do its work.

My guess is the modification is to grind the runner a bit to remove it from inside the blade curvature needed to cut a bead.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm in the group that bought the Small Plow Plane with the full suite of cutters in the last year -- I haven't seen the mailing yet, but will probably wait until the new beading cutters are available to proceed with doing the upgrade -- I also bought the LV Beading tool and a bunch of cutters. Looking forward to more info.

This is great news. I already have teh upgrade in my cart waiting for my nest (inevitable) order....
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    This is great news. I already have teh upgrade in my cart waiting for my nest (inevitable) order....
    We woodworkers do not call it "nesting". These are absolutely necessary tools, and have nothing to do with compulsively over-preparing for our next baby...err...project.

EDIT: Yes, I know that was a mis-spelling. Still hits a bit close to home though...

I will wait for the new combination plane..... Looks promising

I'm one of those who bought the plane several years ago....broke the depth adjustment in first few months...called customer service for a lightening fast response....new depth adjuster plus a call with suggested action to 'make-do'. That suggestion resulted in my skill using the tool improving immensely (thanks again Lee Valley). I haven't received my upgrade letter yet but will certainly take LV up on the offer to get the beading accessories too. I DITTO the positive responses re: LV service & dedication to customer satisfaction.....Thanks, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    We woodworkers do not call it "nesting". These are absolutely necessary tools, and have nothing to do with compulsively over-preparing for our next baby...err...project.

EDIT: Yes, I know that was a mis-spelling. Still hits a bit close to home though...
    Wow, a couple typos in that message. I must've been tired or thinking about my next acquisition.... or both.
    Gary

Would I regret not getting the upgrade on my plow plane? I'm a newbie to the hand tools only world and I'm not convinced that I'll give up my router table. I love using my plow plane as opposed to the noisy and messy router table. I'm actually somewhat of a novice at woodworking even though I started quite a while ago. Numerous military moves to include a third overseas tour since I started. I have done very little beading, so I'm having a hard time justifying the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    Would I regret not getting the upgrade on my plow plane? I'm a newbie to the hand tools only world and I'm not convinced that I'll give up my router table. I love using my plow plane as opposed to the noisy and messy router table. I'm actually somewhat of a novice at woodworking even though I started quite a while ago. Numerous military moves to include a third overseas tour since I started. I have done very little beading, so I'm having a hard time justifying the expense.
    You don't have to commit one way or the other until August. Given that you're a self-described newbie your requirements are probably evolving pretty quickly, so your best move might be to wait and see.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    Related question: why do metal beading planes (e.g., Stanley 45/55) have a flat on each side of the cutter? Wood-bodied beading planes and scratch stocks come to a sharp point and leave a nicer pattern, IMHO. Can the cutter of a metal bodied plane be reground to get rid of that flat? I also am torn on if this upgrade is acually worth it if anyone can speak to that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Clement View Post
    Related question: why do metal beading planes (e.g., Stanley 45/55) have a flat on each side of the cutter? Wood-bodied beading planes and scratch stocks come to a sharp point and leave a nicer pattern, IMHO. Can the cutter of a metal bodied plane be reground to get rid of that flat? I also am torn on if this upgrade is acually worth it if anyone can speak to that
    The blade needs to have the flats in order to make a path for the plane's skates or runners. A wooden bodied beading or hollow plane can have the cutter match the sole. If a part of the blade on a wood bodied isn't outside of the wood, it will not cut where it is in the wood's shadow.

If one is careful in sharpening the blades for the metal beading planes the quirk left on either side of the bead can be reduced.

It looks like the Veritas plane doesn't have a movable runner for their blades. It may be able to have a very small quirk on the cut away from the body.

We can wait and see what will be.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-15-2016 at 1:56 AM. Reason: '
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

@Rob
    Is there a timeline for the replacement part? 05P26.61
    I still don't have an order list yet

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    @Rob
    Is there a timeline for the replacement part? 05P26.61
    I still don't have an order list yet

Hi John,

We'll be keeping the replacement available for years, likely. I should note that the "real" part number is 05P5261 - my early post had a typo, and I could no longer edit it!

Cheers -

Rob

I must say, I'm quite interested to see how folks get on with this plane for beading.

I had a Stanley 66, retired it in favor of a simple scratch stock, but It would be nice to have better registration for long runs. I was going to get the LV router plane with it's beading option, so now I don't know which is a better purchase. Probably the router as I don't currently have ANY larger router plane, and I already have a very nice Stanley 45. Still .....

Well, looking forward to all of your feedback as you use this thing......
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 03-16-2016 at 1:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi John,

We'll be keeping the replacement available for years, likely. I should note that the "real" part number is 05P5261 - my early post had a typo, and I could no longer edit it!

Cheers -

Rob
    Thanks Rob!