Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchasing Laser for Asset Marking and Other Projects

1. Hi Ross
    Just to add my two cents, don't overlook the 50 watt ebay laser cutter for $1525 USD inc shipping. It uses the Ruida RDC6442g controller.
    Also checkout this video series

High-Precise-50W-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-USB-Port-CE-/200640422116?hash=item2eb719e0e4:g:syIAAOSwPcVVt3B J"]http://www.ebaydotcom/itm/High-Precise-50W-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-USB-Port-CE-/200640422116?hash=item2eb719e0e4:g:syIAAOSwPcVVt3B J
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-14-2016 at 8:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Kamp View Post
    What I didn't publish was how safe it is - you can actually put your hand under it and it feels a bit warm, but doesn't burn you. I'm working at my local highschool to retrofit their new (used off ebay) 900x600 FSL machine with a new controller and one of the big things we're discussing with the school is how to make it safe enough that students could possibly use it. Not sure what you're going to end up choosing, but I was impressed with it and it might work out better for you than a big CO2 machine.
    https://youtu.be/TRDpSG3TDnw
    Final shot of some postage stamp sized engravings on a piece of metal.
    Attachment 333791
    Please don't tell anyone it's safe to put your hand under a fiber laser. That's VERY wrong and VERY dangerous. Fiber laser's wavelength can travel through organic materials (your skin) and hit internal things you don't want exposed to a laser.

It's also one of the most dangerous lasers in this business as far as your eyes. A reflection does not stimulate a blink reflex and will burn a spot on your retina that will never repair itself. It's not a device for a mall kiosk or a school unless it's enclosed or has the right safety measures in place to protect people's eyes and hands.

Please, please don't let anyone put their hands under it. That's a VERY bad thing.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

My job at CNU initially was to produce signs for all of the new buildings as the University replaced all of the old facilities. Our sign shop saved over $150,000 per year just from our ability to make ADA door signs. Eventually the workload kept expanding as the faculty found out that we have the capability to produce signs, engrave and provide other machining services. The savings to the University climbed continuously for several years until the amount of work exceeded my labor capacity. Rather than hiring additional employees the savings were redirected to other departments. It ended up being one of those situations where the harder I worked the deeper the hole got, even though my Supervisor was adamant about my priority being production for new buildings as he was responsible for all construction.

Believe me, the workload will increase and the savings will mount up quickly. The only question is will your personal time end up suffering just because you have acquired new production capability.