Thread: Grizzly G9983 Wide Belt Sander

Grizzly G9983 Wide Belt Sander

Been going to buy one of these for a couple years, every time I get the money almost saved something else comes up. Their website says closeout so I emailed them and they said they are discontinued after their current stock runs out. Forgot to ask of there was going to be a replacement.

Question is do I go ahead and order one? Worrisome to buy a machine that is being discontinued, parts are the first thing that comes to mind. I have not checked for awhile but there did not used to be anything else on the market comparable. I have a 50 amp outlet and a dust collector drop installed that had been waiting on one of these to show up.

I would check with Grizzly and find out what type of head the machine has. Some small machines are platen only vs a combination head. The combo head is more versatile as it can also do some calibration sanding rather than finish sanding only. Dave

I have one of these sanders, and like it very much. Disappointed that Grizzly is discontinuing it. Hope they continue to support it. They had a smaller hp sander same size they were discontinuing when I ordered mine about 2 years ago. Maybe 3 years ago. Time flies. I get the belts from Grizzly, they last well for taped belts. The grit wears out before the tape.

Did a google search, and you can buy a slightly bigger machine almost exactly like the Grizzly by Powermatic, has a 17 x 54 inch belt for 6425. Still 5hp machine, probably built in same factory as the Grizzly with 16x48 belt.

weird thing is closeout is $500 more then the price was a few months ago.

Yep, it was $500 less for Christmas, I almost ordered but was still a few dollars short. Can't hardly make myself pay that much more 1 1/2 months later when it is on closeout.

Yes powermatic does make a similar machine for over 2 grand more. That would be a few more years of saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    Yep, it was $500 less for Christmas, I almost ordered but was still a few dollars short. Can't hardly make myself pay that much more 1 1/2 months later when it is on closeout.

Yes powermatic does make a similar machine for over 2 grand more. That would be a few more years of saving.
    i ended up buying http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/p/pm...p-115v/1792244 even when it was only 1k difference b/c i just don't think i could have fixed it if it broke.