Thread: Lathe stand idea

Lathe stand idea

I have a Delta 46-250 midi lathe, and a bed extension. My shop area is tiny, with a very small workbench. I'm looking for a table, or stand to mount my lathe to, so I can move it around, in the shop, and even outside. The lathe needs to be bolted down to something sturdy. Delta makes a stand, and even one with an extension, for lathes that are very similar. I emailed them, and they said the stand would not work, but others say it will. I found one at a great price, but I don't want to buy something that won't work. I'm looking for some ideas for tables, or stands, that are made for some other application, but might work well for a lathe stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Campbell View Post
    I have a Delta 46-250 midi lathe, and a bed extension. My shop area is tiny, with a very small workbench. I'm looking for a table, or stand to mount my lathe to, so I can move it around, in the shop, and even outside. The lathe needs to be bolted down to something sturdy. Delta makes a stand, and even one with an extension, for lathes that are very similar. I emailed them, and they said the stand would not work, but others say it will. I found one at a great price, but I don't want to buy something that won't work. I'm looking for some ideas for tables, or stands, that are made for some other application, but might work well for a lathe stand.
    My first lathe 'stand' was nothing more than an old solid wood maple kitchen table modified to hold and bolt my lathe to. Had enough room for sand bags on the back and worked relatively well until I was able to purchase the matching cast iron stand for my lathe. I've seen similar tables at used/2nd hand furniture stores for relatively little money. You can find 'butcher block' table tops at Home Depot/Lowe's...two or three of these glued together on a substantial base would give you enough mass and get you where you need to be I would think. Good luck...

I've got a portable miter saw stand - similar to this one that I use for my Jet mini:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWX726-...iter+saw+stand

My first lathe was a delta midi. Stand for it was basically a saw horse on steroids. Make the top out of MDF (one or two sheets thick) big enough to accommodate the lathe base. Make A-frame legs for stability out of 2 x 4"'s and cross-brace the heck out of it, including diagonals to prevent wrack. Secure everything with big lag bolts or big wood screws. Height is customizable, also you can include locking casters on the bottom if you need mobility. If you need more weight, put a shelf on the bottom and add a couple bags of wet sand. Total cost should be around $50, particularly if you have scrap 2x4's around the shop.

Here is the one I made for my 46-250, before I put the drawer fronts on. It was made long enough for the bed extension if I ever found one. I never did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

You might consider purchasing a hydraulic table from either Northern Tools or Harbor Freight. They already have wheels so your lathe will be mobile and another benefit is that you can adjust the lathe height any time you want. I can lower mine down to the floor and park it under my table saw wing when I need the floor space.

Thanks for the ideas. I like them all. I just want to get started turning something.

Blog Entries
    I have no idea who this guy is but a I like the lathe stand he did.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPqrUhdLaZE

All the Best
    curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Myers View Post
    I have no idea who this guy is but a I like the lathe stand he did.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPqrUhdLaZE

All the Best
    curt

Heck of of stand right there.

made from scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Campbell View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I like them all. I just want to get started turning something.

Stewart,

This isn't pretty but glued and screwed together it made a fine lathe stand. Like you, I just wanted to make shavings. Worked fine and was better than my lathe! Isn't plain to see but the shelf holding the blocks is angled to match the offset sawhorse so any vibration will cause the blocks to sink deeper into the shelf instead of moving around and maybe falling out.

Everything but the top board was scrap. Add some wheels with two that lock and it should suit your purposes. This was my under ten dollar solution and not counting glue drying only took a few hours to build. Best I remember with concrete it went about six hundred pounds. I like the blocks, might not dampen quite as well as sand but plenty adequate and easier to take out and put back in if you need to. I did have concrete blocks, not cinder blocks, they weigh roughly 35 pounds each. The only reason for the strap is that the glue is still drying in this picture.

The legs are deliberately offset so they have a wide base without getting in my way standing in front of the lathe. Cheap, ugly, served the purpose and years later the stand is still solid as a rock.

Hu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hu lowery; 02-24-2016 at 5:12 AM.

I was standing in your shoes just a few years ago.
    Wanting an easy/cheap solution I went hunting on CL.
    This 66" Oak dresser holds both my 460 and sharpening station; floating on four locking casters.
    Total cost... Free. The previous owner wanting it gone.

1.jpg

2.jpg
    Redheads are like other women – only more so

G Schmidt,
    Good find and great way to repurpose so it doesn't endup in the landfill!