Thread: My Cerdec dried up!

My Cerdec dried up!

OK folks I need some input.
    Many years ago I bought 2, 1# tubs of Cerdec (Cermark/Thermark) from Ferro the mfg. of this stuff at the time. They go a looonnnggg ways and have just tapped into the 2nd tub only to find out it has dried up
    When this stuff dries up it is similar to leather, only tougher!
    I have it soaking in DNA at the moment-probably to no avail.
    Anyone have experience bringing this back to life? Please

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

You are doing exactly what you should to bring it back to life. Soak, stir, and soak some more. Constant shaking/stirring after it's partially dissolved would help - find a hot-dog roller and let it spin (minus the heat of course...)

Gary,

Thanks for a reply! I never thought of a hot dog roller/rock tumbler. I will keep agitating it till it "breaks free".
    I think they could make tires out of this stuff!

Bruce
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    Gary....does Cermark work well on Hotdogs??? I dont see it listed on the company web site????

D
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Blog Entries
    If you have a mortar and pestle, consider that for the stubborn pieces. Once finished, put it through a large-mesh strainer to get rid of any chunks that will clog up your airbrush.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Gary....does Cermark work well on Hotdogs??? I dont see it listed on the company web site????

D
    I would truly appreciate it if we stayed on subject here!
    However, since it was brought up--Nathans, Ball Park Franks, Hebrew National? New at this.

Bruce
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    If you have a mortar and pestle, consider that for the stubborn pieces. Once finished, put it through a large-mesh strainer to get rid of any chunks that will clog up your airbrush.
    Dan,
    I have been down that road with a mortar and pestle (hence the tire comment) this is some very tough stuff!
    I'm at the point of using momma's Ninja (whiles she's away of course)!
    If I can get it reconstituted I probably have enough for several hundred more knives, switch plates, etc.
    I just hate sounding cheap.

Bruce
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I need to mix some dry compound with a special liquid that contains water as its base. Went to the Goodwill store here in town and purchased a nice used blender with a glass jar for $10. I figure when it gives out, I will try another.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

The hot dog roller is a good idea, then also put in a few small stainless steel nuts and bolts to help grind it down...

Don't use normal metal, it will rust like mad in the DNA mix...
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

Find the bottle you just emptied (Hopefully you still have it). Now take the bottle with the dried Cermark and just cut it away from the 'cake' with a good knife. Do this over a clean, large plastic (like tupperware) bowl.

Now, just do whatever it takes to break it apart. Me, I use a nice sharp wood chisel. Just be sure your bowl tools are CLEAN, and make sure there's NO WATER anywhere. Water is Cermark's Kryptonite...

Just bust up the cake until you get down to manageable pieces. Pour all the pieces and powder into your other bottle. Now, however deep the bottle is with Cermark, add the same amount of denatured alcohol.

Now throw in 4 or 5 5/16" or 3/8" nuts to act as 'rattle balls'. Any will work, I use stainless.

Put the cap on and start shaking. You'll probably find you need more alcohol. Add what you need. If you get too much, leave the cap off for a few hours, the alky evaporates quickly, as you know
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

A blender would be a lot faster.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10