Thread: Yet another Band saw question

Question Yet another Band saw question

Good morning all,

I found a Jet JWBS-14X that I am going to look at this afternoon. It is a one owner saw and he has added a riser and carter blade guides. It has the quick release handle and looks to be in good condition minus some rust on the rear fence guide.

He is asking just under $500. Is it worth it?

This will be my first bandsaw and every time I read posts on here everyone goes get as big as you can. This is the budget range I am looking for (wife approved). I do hobby wood working. Long term I would love to try resaw hard wood and get a lathe (so cut blanks) but at this point I am not doing much of that yet.

What type of things should I double check? I was thinking blade tracking, tires, and bearings, anything else?

Thank you all

That saw size (I have a Delta equiv.) is great for "small" sawing tasks. Does resawing represent a great deal of value for you and will that sized saw perform as you need/expect? If you suspect it will, definitely "test" to confirm before buying. I do my "resawing" on a 28" Centauro and wouldn't expect my 14" Delta to provide satisfactory results.

Still, for some geographic locales, $500 +/- is the going price. Getting features you want is more important. For value, what I would seek are a well maintained rust free machine, a complete machine (no damaged or missing parts), balanced and tuned with low vibration, dust collection hookup, mobile base, good tires, light, fence, additional sharp blades.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

For $500, yep. I have a Delta 1966 w/riser M/W I wouldn't let go for less than $800.
    Offer $400 and see where it goes.
    Don't be surprised if between the time you asked, and now, someone already got.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

He was willing to let me look before other people who contacted him since I was first to contact! Very considerate and nice guy to deal with. Tried to get him down to $425 ended at $450. I thought it was a fair price, had several extra blades, mobile base and a few jigs to go with it. He did attach a light by drilling holes through the frame which I wasnt wild about but the rest of it looked very clean and no rust. I think I settled some on horse power for future resawing but I really think this will get me by till I can afford to upgrade and have a more dedicated location for my shop. Thank you both for your responses!

Congrats on your new to you saw,at 450.00 is still a good deal with those features.Keep one thing in mind,a BS is only as good as its blade and vice versa----Carroll

Congrats on the saw!
    Having a task light is very useful (at least in my shop -- I need more light fixtures and to finish the walls white)
    And I've never complained about having a mobile base.

I wouldn't put too much value in the blades if they are used. (although you can try sharpening them if you have the patience)

Wait a second.. I cry "foul" -- no pic!

Matt

I meant to grab some pictured before I replied the first time. Here are 2 photos I had from the seller. I am in the process of moving for my job so placed it in storage till I get the rest of my tools moved to the new location.

Have a great day!
    00L0L_2PA3K9LudV9_600x450.jpg00X0X_j5TRSnFhvfA_600x450.jpg

I think the light is a plus. At least it is not on the other side of the frame like on my Rikon.

Yup; think you'll actually like the light (as long as it doesn't get in way of blade changes too much). Might consider an LED bulb -- the incadescents get pretty hot.

Might consider flipping the mobile base -- I try to keep the smallest profile on the side of the tool I walk around the most. But I do tend to be a bit clumsy about things like that.

I like the appearance of the closed base better than the open stands. Any available storage in there?

And where did that flex hose go for the dust port?

Matt

Congrats on your new saw!
    I have basically that same saw, and I wouldn't let mine go for what you paid, so I think you got a pretty good deal. I also think that once you start using it, you'll find that the work light is pretty much exactly where it belongs.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Congrats on your saw....with the upgrades, def. a decent price...

Matthew,
    I like the flipping the stand idea. I know I will like having the light, but I would just prefer to do a magnetic some how looks cleaner probably not really any more functional. I will maybe look into doing that if I look into a LED light.

It is open all the way down but I think A bottom and shelves could be added easily would be a good use of the space.

I am not quite sure what you mean by your dust port question. The end going away from the saw has a 2.5" end that he had a dust collector, the other side is attached to the stock port.

Thank you everyone