Thread: bathroom sink faucet replacement - do they make such a thing?

bathroom sink faucet replacement - do they make such a thing?

We are considering replacing a faucet like this

P188621LF-B1.tif.jpg
    with a single hole unit similar to this

taller.png
    The existing sink has 3 holes and a pull-up rod for the drain. We'd like to keep the pull-up rod mechanism. I've found lots of escutcheon plates but none have a center hole for the faucet and a side hole for the drain pull-up rod. I could drill a hole for the pull-up rod but something a little more finished would be nice. We could also switch the drain to a pop-up style but would prefer not to. Thanks for any pointers.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-19-2016 at 9:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Some faucets come with a plate to cover up the extra holes.

Every faucet I've seen has the drain rod in the main hole. I REALLY like the idea of putting the rod in a hole to the side but I've never seen such a thing.

If I had my shop (currently in storage), I could turn you a brass thing for the rod that you could have plated. then you could use the other hole for a soap dispenser maybe (might be too close). Darn. Sounds like a fun project.

I don't get it. Your existing faucet has the pull-up rod for the drain in the middle hole. The new one you want to use has the pull-up in the middle hole. That's no change, so why are you making trouble for yourself by putting the pull-up rod in a separate hole?

Faucets like the one you want to use generally come with an optional plate that covers the outer two holes, so it can be used on a three-hole sink.

Blog Entries
    Jamie, but wouldn't it be kind of cool to have the pull-up rod come through a different hole. I view this as making lemonade.
    Turning the drain below would be trivial. It's just that no one wants to do it.

A while back we put a lavatory sink in downstairs and I pointed out that no one ever closes the drain. I thought it would be a lot cleaner to not have a pop up drain at all and just have a mesh. We had a dickens of a time finding a faucet with no rod. I finally bought a faucet with a rod and then disabled it from below so it wouldn't pull up.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 02-19-2016 at 2:50 PM.

The faucet you pictured has a spot in the back for a pull up drain rod. I find it hard to believe that any of them don't, at least I've never seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    The faucet you pictured has a spot in the back for a pull up drain rod. I find it hard to believe that any of them don't, at least I've never seen one.

That's not necessarily the one we're considering, I just posted that to show the style. Based on the pictures (which are generally of the front, not the back) most tall center mount faucets don't have a place for a pull-up, they have hoses running in the center. I suspect the best solution is going to be a pop-up style drain so no need for the rod. Or maybe a lever operated variant of the style we have now. The current faucet is a 20 year old Moen that is getting hard to operate. I replaced the cartridge a couple years ago and a couple weeks ago pulled the cartridge and lubed it with plumber's grease. I don't know what else to do to make it easier to operate. SWMBO's hands are arthritic and she finds lever operated things - be they door latches or faucets - easier to operate than knob operated things. The motion activated faucet might be nice but we're not convinced about long term reliability plus they're $$$ and require an electrical connection.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-20-2016 at 6:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    .. Based on the pictures (which are generally of the front, not the back) most tall center mount faucets don't have a place for a pull-up, they have hoses running in the center...
    Dig deeper. Find side views. Or find the installation instructions online. It is a rare lavatory faucet that doesn't have a pull-up rod. And, as your original post shows, the single-hole faucets manage to get two water tubes and one pull-up rod through that single hole.

Curt, run up to Cooper's across from Wherungs...they are a "real" plumbing store and can probably help you find what you want/need, albeit at "real plumbing store" prices.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Curt, run up to Cooper's across from Wherungs...they are a "real" plumbing store and can probably help you find what you want/need, albeit at "real plumbing store" prices.

Thanks Jim. I'd never heard of them 'til now. We've bought stuff for Kniese's in Doylestown. They're a little more $ than the box stores but not much.

Yea, my GC who did our addition uses Cooper, so they provided all the fixtures except for the sink in our wet bar. Perhaps they have options that are different than the folks you have talked to in D'town.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...