Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How difficult is basic chair building?

Blog Entries
    I reiterate, start with Jeff Miller's book.

He covers design, mock up, and construction. It includes complete plan as well.

The book is one of the best how to books I've seen.

Jeff is a remarkable woodworker. He makes chair building look easy.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-19-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I reiterate, start with Jeff Miller's book.

He covers design, mock up, and construction. It includes complete plan as well.

The book is one of the best how to books I've seen.

Jeff is a remarkable woodworker. He makes chair building look easy.
    I ordered it from Amazon as soon as it was suggested. Should be coming to me next week....Does look like a good book, and I love Jeff Miller as an author.

Absolutely look at the Paul Sellers options. I've always wanted to make chairs.... I made Paul's stool and chair out of 2x4 lumber as my prototype for further work. It was a huge ego \ confidence booster.
    - jbd in Denver

Quote Originally Posted by james fabian View Post
    This step by step article is about How To Make a Chair. If you want to build a chair by yourself, you could get the job done in a weekend, using just common tools and materials. There are many designs and shapes you could choose from, therefore you have to plan everything from the very beginning, as to fit your needs and tastes. A simple chair with a back support and a straight-forward seat is a great choice for beginners, as you need just basic woodworking skills. Learn more in this article: How To Make a Chair: The Method Of Making Chairs.
    Might want to check the date on the last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    They do not look that difficult to build from scratch.

Regards,

Chris
    Famous last words. The front legs are wider than the back, there is an angle between the back legs and the seat, back slats are steam or laminated and bent, and often the back legs are bent and splayed out. None of that is easy. Of course you can always make an uncomfortable chair by eliminating angles and bends.