Thread: Minimax 16 guides

Minimax 16 guides

I purchased a MM16 about 3 years ago, and the saw came with euro-style guides.
    I understand that the new MM116 saws come with Carter roller guides. Is this accurate, and is there a retro-fit kit for older MM saws?
    Thanks.

Google Carter bandsaw guides. They will have several possibilities that will work, and anyone you talk to there, on the phone or by email, will know in detail about the different ones that will work. You can order any of them directly from Carter.

Are the euro-style ceramic?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

My early 2014 saw has carter guides. I've heard that they have switched back to euro. If you want to try the carter, you might get some cheap from folks who have installed Laguna ceramic guides. Try the minimax yahoo group.

I'm running Carter CP30 's top and bottom on my 24" saw, and it tracks perfectly. I'm pretty sure those are too large for the 16, as I had to do some modifying to get a CP30 to work on the bottom. They wouldn't be so good for changing back and forth to different blade sizes though, as adjustments are with an Allen wrench. For the saw I leave set up for resawing, they work perfectly.

My minimax 16 is a '04 model, with the euro guides. Can't imagine why I would want to replace them. They are easy to adjust, and work well for me. Maybe you need the cool blocks for narrow blades?

You might try to contact Laguna. I believe their guides can be ordered to retrofit other machines like yours. Theirs are the ceramic guides.

Found the Carter guides it shipped with to be a PITA to adjust. Could not get a response from MM when I inquired about changing over to the european guides. Retrofitted mine with Laguna ceramics. So far, seem to be working well.

Thanks for the replies. The euro-guides on my saw are not ceramic.

Kieran: Your first-hand experience is most helpful. I think I will leave well enough alone.