Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I tried the chipbreaker trick...

Blog Entries
    The planing robe works;

Oh, and more importantly the chipbreaker works I'm the beneficiary of Warren and David's work on this stuff, and it's much appreciated. In fact David made the wooden planes.

I'd like to make a quick point, if you are working entirely by hand it's important to consider your chipbreaker settings for your roughing and truing planes as well. The less tearout in those planes the less work you will be doing with your finish plane. There are many times when I need to take material off of a board that is on the thick side but still too thin to resaw. So these settings are critical for taking 1/8"-1/4" of material off in a hurry and doing so cleanly. When I am working with the jack and try plane often times I do not need to use the finish plane unless I'm working on a panel or an exterior face.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The planing robe works;

[snip]

Oh, and more importantly the chipbreaker works I'm the beneficiary of Warren and David's work on this stuff, and it's much appreciated. In fact David made the wooden planes.

I'd like to make a quick point, if you are working entirely by hand it's important to consider your chipbreaker settings for your roughing and truing planes as well. The less tearout in those planes the less work you will be doing with your finish plane. There are many times when I need to take material off of a board that is on the thick side but still too thin to resaw. So these settings are critical for taking 1/8"-1/4" of material off in a hurry and doing so cleanly. When I am working with the jack and try plane often times I do not need to use the finish plane unless I'm working on a panel or an exterior face.
    This seems to imply that you use close-set cap irons in roughing planes. Out of curiosity, how do you achieve that with a cambered iron and while taking deep cuts?

Completely agreed w.r.t. jointers - I use fairly tight cap iron sets in those.

I've begun to wonder lately how much the high angle frog stuff comes from woodie molding planes..iirc the majority of those are 50 degrees, with 55 pretty common as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    This seems to imply that you use close-set cap irons in roughing planes. Out of curiosity, how do you achieve that with a cambered iron and while taking deep cuts?

Completely agreed w.r.t. jointers - I use fairly tight cap iron sets in those.
    It's relative, and that is what I mean to say and possibly should have said so explicitly. A .005" setting on a plane which takes a 2 hundredths shaving is a non starter, but it should be relatively close and close enough that the chip is exiting the plane straight up and out.

I was amazed at how close I needed to set the chipper before the chip would go up and out of the front of the plane on my finish plane, but it's not as close on the try plane (.005-.008" shaving) and even further on the jack plane (.020~)....but they're not far away if that makes any sense.

I actually have had shavings bump me in the shoulder from the try plane.

The Kanna is the same way, they literally flow up and out over the iron.

Isn't it possible to just grind the same camber on the cap as one do on the blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    Isn't it possible to just grind the same camber on the cap as one do on the blade?
    That's somewhat problematic for two reasons:

1. The mating surface on the underside of the cap iron is sloped, which means that if you grind in lengthwise camber then you also create camber in the vertical. At that point you're likely to be trapping shavings rather than breaking them. With the older-stype "humped" cap irons you can mitigate that by matching the slope of the mating surface to the iron, though this can be a little finicky in my experience (you have to make sure they match when tightened). The now-fashionable "solid" cap irons present more of a challenge because they rely on that slope to create preload/interference - if you grind that slope out you get a loose-fitting cap iron.

2. In my experience the cutting action gets pretty difficult when the leading edge of the cap iron is below the plane sole (i.e. when the shaving is thicker than the cap-iron setback)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    It's relative, and that is what I mean to say and possibly should have said so explicitly. A .005" setting on a plane which takes a 2 hundredths shaving is a non starter, but it should be relatively close and close enough that the chip is exiting the plane straight up and out.

I was amazed at how close I needed to set the chipper before the chip would go up and out of the front of the plane on my finish plane, but it's not as close on the try plane (.005-.008" shaving) and even further on the jack plane (.020~)....but they're not far away if that makes any sense.

Thank you!

That's basically what I thought you meant, and am encouraged to learn that I'm not totally in the weeds with my jack/jointer setups.

Blog Entries

There are some precautions one should consider when using a fine tuned plane:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...p-Mouth-Closed

Before anyone comments, it isn't about the plane's mouth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There are some precautions one should consider when using a fine tuned plane:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...p-Mouth-Closed

Before anyone comments, it isn't about the plane's mouth.

jtk
    Money shot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Thank you!

That's basically what I thought you meant, and am encouraged to learn that I'm not totally in the weeds with my jack/jointer setups.
    Anytime, Cheers!

11. I found this to be immensely insightful.

http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/...breaker-video/

not a contradiction to anything above, just a different insight into the mechanics.

Sounds like Schwartz is the one trying to rewrite history. I think he can be a slippery customer at times.

That photo brings new meaning to the term "infill".

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Sounds like Schwartz is the one trying to rewrite history. I think he can be a slippery customer at times.
    Indeed. I liked him a lot more when he was upfront that he was a professional journalist and amateur woodworker.

Well,when you set yourself up as the greatest expert,and write your every thought down in magazines and blogs,you can get trapped!! but,his fans probably disregard it anyway.