Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can use some help/advice please

I can use some help/advice please

I find myself in a position I've rarely been in. I actually have a bit of spare cash that I can use to buy tools with. Now that I can, I'm not sure what to buy.

I have a basic set of tools, a full set of saws, a set of chisels, brace and bit set, a #4 Stanley, a #5 Stanley, a router plane, block plane. I've got a good set of sharpening stones, and my layout tools are pretty good as well.

Are there any must have tools to add to my basic kit?

As much as I want one, a #7 is beyond my ability to rehab and new is beyond my budget.

Thanks,
    Ken

Ken,
    Sounds like a shoulder plane might be next.
    Random ROG

You might also look for a good condition wooden jointer plane. They can usually be found for not much and can be straightened with your #5.

What is the obstacle to a #7? That is the hole I would be looking to fill if it were me.

Blog Entries
    It always seems everyone loves to spend other people's money.

Looking at what you have there are a few directions you could go. Did you make it to the Lie Nielsen Tool Event in Portland a few weeks ago? Those are great places to look at and handle tools to get an idea of what might be added to your tool cabinet. It also helps you discover tools that will not have a place among your users.

Is there a task or project you would like to do but currently are unable to do with the tools you have?

Are you interested in a #7 in particular or would a #8 fit in to your shop?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What do you have to spend?

Maybe a spokeshave, or lately I've enjoyed using a few quality rasps and files. Always a fun problem to have!

A vise or bench upgrade.
    jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thank for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It always seems everyone loves to spend other people's money.

Looking at what you have there are a few directions you could go. Did you make it to the Lie Nielsen Tool Event in Portland a few weeks ago? Those are great places to look at and handle tools to get an idea of what might be added to your tool cabinet. It also helps you discover tools that will not have a place among your users.

Is there a task or project you would like to do but currently are unable to do with the tools you have?

Are you interested in a #7 in particular or would a #8 fit in to your shop?

jtk
    I did make it out there. I was very impressed by the tools and would love to one day own some of them.

With the tools I have, I've been able to do or find a way to do everything I've wanted to so far. I know some of what I've done would be easier/faster with the right tool.

If if I can find either a #7 or #8 in the right condition and price I'd be happy. I think I might like the #8 just because it is bigger and I've found I tend to prefer the heavier planes, either would find a place in my shop though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keith View Post
    What do you have to spend?
    I've got about $200, not a lot, but more than I've had to spend in a long while.

I've been looking at the Narex rasps, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because I haven't been able to find any reviews of them.

For me, it would be a jointer plane (#7 or 8)...Or compromise and get a #6 foreplane
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Fisher View Post
    Thank for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I did make it out there. I was very impressed by the tools and would love to one day own some of them.

With the tools I have, I've been able to do or find a way to do everything I've wanted to so far. I know some of what I've done would be easier/faster with the right tool.

If if I can find either a #7 or #8 in the right condition and price I'd be happy. I think I might like the #8 just because it is bigger and I've found I tend to prefer the heavier planes, either would find a place in my shop though.

I've got about $200, not a lot, but more than I've had to spend in a long while.

I've been looking at the Narex rasps, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because I haven't been able to find any reviews of them.
    Have you tried Supertool.com? The person who runs it puts out an email list every month. I know last month I saw at least one #7 and #8 for around $180.

I will also be glad to check with my local source. I was in there last week and I know he had two #7s and one #8 corrugated. I'm not sure of the pattern honestly because I didn't look too closely. I'm fairly certain I can put my hands on a all wood jointer as well.

Blog Entries
    Just looking at the specs on them. Not sure if Rc 45 is as hard as a rasp should be. What makes me hesitant is:

CNC stitching ensures that the pattern is uniform and each tooth is raised to the same height.
    One of the appeals of hand stitched rasps is the tooth height is made uniform, but the pattern isn't. This makes a smoother surface without groves so common to most rasp work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

+1 for supertool.com. It's Patrick Leach's site. I would put his pricing at the higher end of the scale, but he knows his planes and what you get is exactly as described. You'll know if it needs some work or just a decent honing.

Another plane to consider is a #62 low angle or bevel up. I use it far more than my larger planes. It's great for shooting, edge jointing, and general flattening...hogging out or smoothing. It's long enough for most of the projects I do.

New Veritas or Lie Nielson is above your price range...but in my opinion would be worth saving for. An alternative , you could consider the new Stanley SW BU #62. I have one. Reviews are mixed. Takes a bit of fiddling to set up, a lot of backlash in the adjustment. But once set, it performs very well. These can be found for around $135 these days.

Blog Entries
    You certainly have enough $ for a good refurbished #7 and a Hock iron. If you want new, perhaps save a bit longer and go for the Veritas bevel up jointer. The fence option is awesome for jointing edges at 90*.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...30,41182,52515

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Just looking at the specs on them. Not sure if Rc 45 is as hard as a rasp should be. What makes me hesitant is:

One of the appeals of hand stitched rasps is the tooth height is made uniform, but the pattern isn't. This makes a smoother surface without groves so common to most rasp work.

jtk
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll be avoiding them and saving up for better.

I think a jointer plane will be the best use of money right now. After some poking about I think I found one on etsy that looks pretty good and is a reasonable price. Gonna sleep on it and think it over a it more.

Thanks for all the help and advice.