Thread: Target coatings EM9000

Target coatings EM9000

I have used Target coatings and General Finishes coatings (mostly GF lately). From Target I got good results with EM6000 and once bought a gallon of EM9000 but didn't have good results with it. No matter how thick of a coat I'd put the surface wouldn't come out smooth (unlike all other coatings). I tried it one more time yesterday and have decided to throw away the rest of it. Is it only me or is there really something different about this finish?

Blog Entries
    I have only used 1 gallon of the EM9000 and it came out great! I put it on a dining table I built for my, at the time, future daughter in-law. The finish went on nicely, turned out smooth as glass and has held up well over the past at least 2 years. (I can't remember exactly when I delivered it). So maybe you got a bad batch??? I have found that several thin coats works way better than fewer thick coats. I think I put 3 coats on the table.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Multiple thin coats is a much better technique than trying to apply thick coats. Are you brushing wiping or spraying this finish?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

spraying. I usually apply a very thin (tack) coat to seal, then one more coat and sand. Subsequent coats are heavier than the first two.
    I've used EM6000, GF pre-cat Urethan, GF clear poly, GF Enduro-var and get pretty good results with all (have used tens of gallons of them). Maybe something is not right with this gallon I have (or it's a bit too old).

In general, if a finish isn't applying the way you expect it and you've checked any instructions provided with the finish, it's not a horrible idea to contact the manufacturer directly to get their feedback. I had problems a few years ago with a gallon of the predecessor to EM6000 and after speaking with Jeff at Target, it was determined I had a bad batch of finish. They subsequently replaced it for me and that replacement sprayed "normally".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Multiple thin coats is a much better technique than trying to apply thick coats. Are you brushing wiping or spraying this finish?
    I have to disagree with Scott on this one. I don't have the expertise that others on this board do, but I have sprayed 30-40 gallons of EMTech finishes as well as a couple hundred gallons of various waterborne top coats. I spray 9000 on all my painted products so I have decent experience with it.
    I have found that light coats with waterborne top coats are a bad idea (in general). I once read a passage from Charles Neil where he said 'if you don't occasionally get a run with waterborne products than you are not putting it on heavy enough'. I mostly agree with this.

I also disagree with spraying a "very thin (tack) coat to seal". This leaves a poor surface that will haunt you to no end. You need to start with an average 1st coat, say 2-3 mil. Two more-slightly heavy coats should do it after that. (4 mil). Waterborne needs to go on heavier than most or it just doesn't lay down.

I've never used a "seal coat" w/ 9000, but I always start with a 1:1 mix of water when I shoot 9300. Only on the first coat, except walnut and white oak. Then I do two seal coats.

Here is Farmhouse table I recently completed. GF milk paint covered with 9000 on the base. 8000cv on the top (my go to finish!)
    Farmhouse1.jpg
    Farmhouse5 - Copy.jpg

I should also add that I shoot with a Fuji Mini-Mite 4 and their T70 gun.

Drew:

A table ... that must be an incredibly durable finish, and it is beautiful. I've been using a post catalyzed conversion and looking for a "greener and healthier" replacement. Is EM9000 with the cross-linker worth considering? I've looked at Target but the distribution is weird, National Sales from NJ, but all dealers are Pacific Northwest and Canada? How do you deal with that from Michigan?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Not to hijack this thread, but I looked up the TC 8000CV. At less than $60/gal that stuff would be an incredible bargain if it works as well as TC claims. What's your experience with it? GF's conversion varnish is twice the price once you buy the catalyst.

John

Bill,
    I order it through their website and it shows up at my door 2-3 days later.
    You can cross-link 8000 as well, but I don't. Haven't had great results.

I love 8000, John. 2 year reports at Starbucks have been very good. I think 4 years should be very likely in such a place. They have promo codes to help with that price too. Current one is EM25. I think I pay about $42/ gal shipped @ 5 gal-w/ promo code.
    GF CV is ok. I've only sprayed 3-4 gallons. It smelled strong! Shot well, almost as good as Enduro poly. I don't have any long term info though.

Thanks Drew; much appreciated. And for the promo code, too.

John