Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Table Saw

Portable Table Saw

I need some advice. I am looking for a portable table saw to use for cabinet work. I don't have much room in my garage so I need to fold it up when I am not using it. I am trying to decide between three models: the Craftsman Professional 10 in. Table Saw Portable Sears item #00921829000 Mfr. model #21829 this model (new model pictured below - kinda reminds me of the Ryobi BT3000) I believe it is made by Ryobi it has a sliding miter table and a built in mini router table (I don't have a router table), Bosch model 4000-09 on the gravity rise stand, and the Ridgid portable. What do you think? The Craftsman is $449, Bosch $570 and the Ridgid $449. I want to get the most bang from my buck without spending am arm and a leg.

Thanks for your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Hannah; 09-12-2005 at 12:49 AM.

Been there, done that

The one you pictured is the Ryobi BT3100, discussed in http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22996

3. Personally I have and use the Rigid. I use it both in my shop and on site. It has stood up to repeated over-use and poor working conditions and still cuts very accurately.

I bought it several years ago when I was renovating my present house. The idea was once moved in to replace it with a cabinet saw. And I will when it ever dies.

Mike

small t/s

I have the rigid t2400 which has an excellent fence. My does'nt have soft start which would be a nice feature , I still like the rigid t/s and i think the new ones have soft start and the bosch looks like an excellent machine

Mike

I have the Craftsman Professional Jobsite saw from a few years back. It does all of my table sawing. It will hold up to a 13/16" dado and does just fine with it. It is not a cabinet saw by any means but it does the job for now I won't be upgrading it until I can go to a cabinet saw...
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

If you end up getting the Ryobi...

If you decide to get the Ryobi, be sure to check out this website. www.bt3central.com/forums. I realize the Ryobi is not a cabinet saw, but it sure can be set up to be an accurate cutting machine.

Which ever saw you purchase make sure to get on thats easy to make a zero clearance insert for & if it doesn't have a sliding table miter slots that will be easy to make a sled for. Some of these portable saws are miserable to used because of these problems.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Laing
    I have the rigid t2400 which has an excellent fence. My does'nt have soft start which would be a nice feature , I still like the rigid t/s and i think the new ones have soft start and the bosch looks like an excellent machine.
    Time for my "dumb question of the day": I can see the advantage of soft-start on a router or other handheld power tool, but what function/benefit does it provide on a table saw?

Mike,

Jack and I were just discussing your search. May I suggest you looking into the guided rail system. I think a nice fold up table and storeable saw would work well for you. No you won't be able to take care of 100% of your needs, but with Jack right next door with a shop of dusty, rarely used tools ( ) you could fill in when needed. As a repayment, Jack would have access to a way of handling sheet goods easier.

I think a nice ATF55, MFT combo would work well for you, besides you already have the 150/3 from them.

Anyways, just my thoughts since space is such a concern for you. Come on by if you want to try out the ATF55. I don't have the MFT, yet.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I agree with Scott, you should consider the ATF55. I'd be willing to bet that a nice portable CMS and the ATF55 could handle almost anything you throw at them.
    Last edited by Jim Fancher; 09-12-2005 at 1:27 PM.

Decided to be a comedian today I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    Mike,

Jack and I were just discussing your search. May I suggest you looking into the guided rail system. I think a nice fold up table and storeable saw would work well for you. No you won't be able to take care of 100% of your needs, but with Jack right next door with a shop of dusty, rarely used tools ( ) you could fill in when needed. As a repayment, Jack would have access to a way of handling sheet goods easier.

I think a nice ATF55, MFT combo would work well for you, besides you already have the 150/3 from them.

Anyways, just my thoughts since space is such a concern for you. Come on by if you want to try out the ATF55. I don't have the MFT, yet.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Nope, always a comedian, just not funny... at least to anyone but myself.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Mike, if you are interested in portability only to facilitate storage, then I would look strongly at some contractor's saws with a caster system, and 'find' the space in your garage to store it. I have deservedly raved about my Bosch portable TS in other posts; however, although I have done some out-and-out cabinets with it, I was really pushing its limits. You're really going to want some cast iron somewhere on the machine, and most contractors saws have just that. Contractor saws can be found in the $500 range- I just saw a Powermatic CS for under $400, minus the fence. If you truly need to fold the sucka up to get to the leaf-blower, then go with the Bosch. By the way, the dust collection on the Bosch is a joke. Like someone dared an engineer to screw it up, it's so bad. HTH, Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Pater
    Mike, if you are interested in portability only to facilitate storage, then I would look strongly at some contractor's saws with a caster system, and 'find' the space in your garage to store it. I have deservedly raved about my Bosch portable TS in other posts; however, although I have done some out-and-out cabinets with it, I was really pushing its limits. You're really going to want some cast iron somewhere on the machine, and most contractors saws have just that. Contractor saws can be found in the $500 range- I just saw a Powermatic CS for under $400, minus the fence. If you truly need to fold the sucka up to get to the leaf-blower, then go with the Bosch. By the way, the dust collection on the Bosch is a joke. Like someone dared an engineer to screw it up, it's so bad. HTH, Walt
    Walt I would like to find the room for a Contractor saw. I am having to ensure that my wife can still park her minivan in the garage if you know what I mean. BTW Where did you see a Powermatic CS for $400 - that sounds pretty good. Thanks, Mike

BTW Where did you see a Powermatic CS for $400 - that sounds pretty good. Thanks, Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike, it was in the display room at Warren Cutlery here in the scenic Hudson Valley. I don't see it on their website: www.warrencutlery.com.
    You can get their number off the website. Ask for Jim, he could guide you to a closer distributor/retailer.
    Maybe it was $479. Mind you, it still needed a fence, and had stamped steel, as opposed to cast iron, wings, but it struck me as a pretty good deal. Good luck with your search. General's CS isn't outrageously priced.

HEY! HOW ABOUT THIS: Convince the wife that she needs a mini COOPER instead of a mini VAN. That new saw would fit nicely after that.