Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any business that uses Facebook for their website isn't getting my business

Any business that uses Facebook for their website isn't getting my business

I am getting entirely sick of businesses that use Facebook as their only website. If your business only uses Facebook you aren't getting my business. More and more Facebook is requiring you to login to see business Facebook pages. I am NEVER signing up for a Facebook account so I guess these businesses just don't want my business.

I went to look at the Facebook page for the local VFW this evening, but now Facebook won't let me see the site without a login. It used to be public. (Not a VFW member, but I eat at their restaurant occasionally.)

Well, the reality is that it's either difficult, time-consuming or expensive to maintain a website anymore. Small mom-and-pop operations that don't depend on web traffic will always have a hard time justifying that expense of time, resources or learning curve. Facebook is an avenue to a free or inexpensive web presence, where local word-of-mouth can be spread like wildfire.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, just the way it is, IMO.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

It sure makes it easy on me to expose new people to my work. I don't have to have a showroom. I have pictures.

I doubt our businesses will go broke because you choose to not create a FB account, though tost of my jobs come word of mouth.
    -Lud

Create a fictitious name account? I don't have and don't want a Facebook account but if there were benefit to having one I'm sure there are ways without giving up personal info. Some may see that as dishonest but given Facebook's reputation for being less than diligent about protecting personal information I don't think I'd feel too guilty.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-14-2016 at 8:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Well, the reality is that it's either difficult, time-consuming or expensive to maintain a website anymore. Small mom-and-pop operations that don't depend on web traffic will always have a hard time justifying that expense of time, resources or learning curve. Facebook is an avenue to a free or inexpensive web presence, where local word-of-mouth can be spread like wildfire.
    There are plenty of small businesses that are very dependent on their web presence for sales that use Facebook. There are a number of consignment shops locally that post all of their inventory on Facebook as it comes in.

Brian I agree with you facebook and I hate it when I want to look at something and it say login to facebook, I don't I won't and they won't get my business either.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-14-2016 at 1:44 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    I am also in the camp where if I am forced to create an account or use social networking to do business with you, I go elsewhere. It is a choice and there are plenty of choices out there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

No business from me either. Sitebuilder has served both my Wife and me well for over a decade on our easy to update websites, and ten bucks a month for unlimited everything, including people who don't use facebook, is little to nothing.

Luckily, I was able to sorta read the VFW's website under the Facebook login box to discover they decided to close for Valentine's day. I would have been unhappy to drive all the way over there to find they were closed. (I suppose they figured nobody celebrates Valentines's Day at the VFW restaurant.) I forgot about Valentine's day so probably not a good day to go out for breakfast anyhow.

I am not a Facebook member or any other social media member but I have free a website for my photography and woodworking with weebly.com that works well...wix.com is another site where you can make your own site for free. Really no need to restrict yourself to places like Facebook where people have to login to see it..

I don't have a Facebook account and never will. Some people who have one are so attached to it that they believe almost everyone has an account. This thread should serve as an advisory to such people that Facebook links that require a log-in only aggravate people like the OP and me. That can be counterproductive.

For those who don't want a real website, another possibility is an Etsy store. It provides a commercial website on which people can post pictures and from which you can sell stuff directly. There are certain requirements that must be met and it takes some red tape to get it set up correctly. It isn't for everyone but I have met some people who make a living through Etsy. I have also met Etsy shoppers who go there routinely to buy gifts and hand made household items.

Blog Entries
    I doubt they'll miss your business. I don't mean that in a negative way towards you, it's your right not to like it but a lot more do than don't.

As a Facebook user, I don't like this either.
    I have yet to see a FB business login, that doesn't ask you to agree to "share" your contacts with FB to log into the page.
    Facebook does enough data mining on it's own. I'm not going to help them.
    Secure websites can be very cheap to set up and run.
    I'm with you Brian.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have to admit that I also agree with Brian. If you have a real company you should have a real website with your own domain name and email address at the very least. I expect that most large businesses will think less of your company if your using a social media site to promote your services. That might not be a concern for some but it would be a disaster for me as I rarely do business with the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    I doubt they'll miss your business. I don't mean that in a negative way towards you, it's your right not to like it but a lot more do than don't.
    I'm on knife forum and flashlight forum too and it amazes me how many knife makers and flashlight modders are using FB as their only web page. I, like the OP, will not stay on the site if FB demands a log in. I am pretty certain that the flashlight modder or knife maker would not want to think that he/she is turning away good business in a cutthroat ( ) competitive market because of FB policy but that is the way it is for many of us who are willing to spend but don't want the aggravation associated with FB. YES - they will miss my business. You can create a web site and have it hosted for a year - easily less than $200.00. I've done it for myself and friends. IMHO - Bad business not to have your own web site too, especially for a limited product/1 person shop company like those I've mentioned.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge