Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: Small "Girlie Things" Table :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    PS: Who takes the photos of you when your in the shop? Auto camera?
    Timer in the camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    If you can could you enlighten us as to the timetable for the adoption? I seem to recall in a previous thread some mention about having to travel to Russia this winter. Is that still a go?
    Our dossier is "over there" getting translated and then will be forwarded to the region that the girls live in. So at this point, we are waiting on a court date which will likely be in November...in western Siberia. Burrrr!!! But there are no guarantees with time frame...remember, a government is involved. It ain't done until it's done...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Steffey
    Did you use the plugs or bondo to cover the pocket screws?
    Nope. Paper labels stuck on and painted over. I didn't have any plugs "in stock" nor any Bondo. The pockets are too deep to use spackle, at least for a "Frast" project...so I cheaped out. Honestly, these are down near the floor and on the inside. They will be hardly noticeable. And as I mentioned...it's not fine furniture...

-----
    Oh, I forgot to mention that the frame was designed to be relatively in concert with the Ikea beds. They have plain surfaces with square edges and 2" thickness, generally speaking. The table frame echoes that with the 1 3/4" thick legs as well as the aprons and stretchers that are flush with the outside surfaces of the legs. In retrospect, I would have liked to make the stretchers look to be the same thickness as the legs. Actually, I would have liked eliminate them altogether. However, I felt they were necessary to provide a more rigid structure given where they will be living...kids can be tough on furniture....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finished (quite literally) and "installed" :)

Well, this project is done as I had time this weekend to shoot on the clear coats and get the table "installed" in the girls' room. I think they will like it...and it will be a surprise as we did not include a picture of it in our mailing to them this week. So here are some "wrap-up" pictures for this third and "final" (yea, right...) project for the room. They included the wall-hung shelving unit, the blocks to raise the beds to accomodate under-bed storage units and this vanity table.

Pics:
    1. Here's where the vanity table will live between the beds
    2. Closer view of the table
    3. View of the shelf-wall where the paint color for the table base came from
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

Good work Jim, it's the kind of stuff that makes you a good father.

Richard

Fun being dad!

Nice project jim. I see in your future doll houses, minature furniture, maybe even a custom turned baseball bat.

Have fun
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    ...it's not fine furniture...

Looks fine to me !! Another job well done Jim, the kids will love them.
    Tony

Jim, your projects have really transformed that room into a very nice space for the kids. I am sure they will really enjoy the room. I hope things get put on the fast track and you get to make that trip soon! I remember when my wifes cousin and her husband went to the orphanages over in Siberia to get their daughter. A very long trip over nothing but ice! Anyway, nice job!

Corey

Very nice Jim, the “Frast” dressing table fits nicely between the beds. I think the lucky Mama & Papa are going to raise some lucky young ladies too!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Jim, your great looking and functional additions to the girls' room will be something truly cherished by the girls when they return home! Super job, Jim!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jim,

I just browsed all of the posts on this awesome project. What an exciting time and these projects all came out great. Glue and screw projects really do have their place in function and extra accessories. Next year, when the girls want to change the look of the whole room, you won't mind starting all over (or maybe you will).

Great job and good luck with everything, it looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail O'Rourke
    Next year, when the girls want to change the look of the whole room, you won't mind starting all over...
    Bite your tongue, Gail!!
    -------

Thanks, folks. This was a fun and frast project!
    --