Thread: "New" (to me) saw vise

"New" (to me) saw vise

It's huge. Jaws are 15" wide. The tilt mechanism works really easily. The tightening screw is so long because it tightens against a fixed spot, and it needs to be longer at max tilt. That's kind of weird, but other than that, I've been looking for a big'un for a long time, and this will do until maybe an Acme turns up. This will allow me to file a full sized saw with one move. It came from Lee at The Best Things.
    The Stearns for comparison is an average sized saw vise. It's been my favorite for decades, but now has a new owner.

I know people make wooden ones all the time, but it feels, and sounds better to me in a metal vise. I only realized just recently that sound plays a big part in the "feel" that I rely on when filing a saw.
    I haven't used the new one yet. It's way too tall for me on anything I have to put it on, so I'll have to come up with some design to get it down to the right height for me.

I would probably have bought the Gramarcy one if it tilted. I put slope on crosscut saws more times than not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice (big) vise! I've just started to self learn sharpening. I'm curious what the ball joint/tilt offers. Does it help in terms of filing angles or ?

I've just finished my first rip saw and under close examination my 0* fleam ain't so 0* on some teeth . Cuts pretty well though, so will likely leave it be for now. I have to say, it's enjoyable...will give crosscut a try on a yard sale saw soon.

By the way, I ended up buying the Gramercy vise...seems like every time I pull the trigger on something, a fellow creeker offers one up in the classifieds.

windows4 005 (800x600).jpgThe tilt makes it easy to put slope on the teeth. You get to hold the file level just like you do with a rip saw. It makes the teeth more "pointy", which gives a cleaner, and faster cut, but they do dull a little faster. Some say the advantage is deeper gullets that carry the sawdust away better, but I'm not sure that matters. On softer woods, teeth with slope do cut better any way you look at it.

This Cypress siding was cut with a 10 pt. crosscut with pretty good slope on the teeth. It was not touched after it was sawn to length. It's floating on the nails, and you can move each piece with a fingertip, so it's not jambed in place.

Thanks Tom. After your response I spent a little time reading up on slope. I've been focused on fleam and rake...and slope kind of fell off my radar. Just curious, does your new vise tilt both ways, or do you flip the saw when filing?

I've never seen one that tilts other than away from you. I always flip the saw, even with a rip. A lot of people file a rip from one side, but it never felt right to me.

That's an awesome find. I've always wanted a saw vise but the ones I find are either too expensive or too rusty to use. I might just be bringing the Neanderthal around here,but I've just been using two 2x4s in a bench vise with the saw in the middle,but hey,it works.