Thread: "bench top tool" work station?

"bench top tool" work station?

I have a number of "bench top" tools that I would fit on to one mobile work station.

These include:

Hitachi 8.5 SCMS with a dust hood.

Craftsman/Rikon 10" bandsaw

Craftsman 12" tube lathe

Hollow chisel mortiser

Maybe a 12" disk sander.

I have a pretty good idea how to lay the tools out on an approximately 3x5' table top, but would like to see if anyone else has put anything like this together.

Thanks, Woody
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 02-10-2016 at 4:22 PM.

Woody;
    Take a look at this one from Wood Magazine:
    http://www.woodstore.net/plans/shop-...ol-System.html

The plans are fairly cheep - I bought them a year or so ago, and plan to build a stationany-tower version into my shop build.

Dick Thomas

I had planned to put my miter saw away in a cabinet; roll out when needed. Halfway through my workshop rebuilding, I left the miter saw at the end of the workbench. I use it so often that now I'm going to keep it right there. My conclusion is that for the occasional use tools, something like Dick suggested would be great. But for a chop saw, having it out where it's handy is my preference. (Downside is that I'm tempted to use the chop saw more than I should; "this piece is too wide for the chop saw, but if I take a cut and flip it over ...")

I think the CMSMS saw will have to be mounted on a skid that will let me move it to another bench or take it out of the shop for work.

Dust collection is a priority so there will be a large hood for the saw. I guess i could remove the saw and sand or rout small parts in front of the hood.

The mortiser will probably get intermitant use so that should probably be put away between projects. Maybe the disk sander can share the same space.

The band saw needs a permanent mount. I think i can get the hights set so that there is a pivoting out feed mounted over the saw dust hood.

The lathe may need its own stand as it will intersect with the dust hood. I could figure out how to lift the hood off to turn long spindles. This was a "free/go with god" tool so i don't really want to design much of the shop around it, as it will probably get replaced at some point. I might just cut it down to fit this bench.

Somewhere, perhaps You Tube, I saw a full sized workbench that worked like a flip top stand. It had a lot of benchtop tools in a little space.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The "ultimate tool stand" is on my projects list ...
    http://christophermerrill.net/ww/pla...l_Stand_1.html