Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Etching Pyrex, Quartz, Acrylic, & Polycarbonate

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Centers View Post
    Any Brands of sandblaster you guys recommend or recommend to stay away from? I know you get what you pay for, but I am not sure how much I should be paying for a blaster.
    For the work you are doing I would recommend the red Harbor Freight cabinet. I have two of them and have been using them for about 8/9 years. For bottles and glasses, you would be wasting money on anything larger or more elaborate. Get a small pressure pot, 20# is fine, and use 150-180 grit aluminum oxide - it will build up static and shock you a bit, but I find it keeps me awake when I'm blasting that 100 glass job... I use their green dust collector to vent outside, with fine media you won't get much dust blowing outside.

I will be working with nothing larger then a bottle so I don't need huge space also I do have fairly large hands though.
    I'm 6'4" and have pretty good sized meathooks as well, the HF cabinet has what I believe are standard size openings - my hands fit through fine and the gloves are actually a bit big!

You can look at Crystalblast and Rayzist setups, but for the work you are doing I think they are several thousand dollars of overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    my hands fit through fine and the gloves are actually a bit big!
    That is one thing I was really worried about.

Gary, Do you have a favorite Nozzle size for small objects? Do you use a Feed Blaster Gun? Sorry Man, I have
    never done this but I am a quick learner and you don't have to tell or show me more then once. I have been
    on YouTube for a good while watching tutorials on sand blasting.

I believe after some time I will be getting a Laser also. Epilog sent me a wood and
    metal sample item and I could not believe it was done with a laser. Just amazing
    quality and very small detail. At some point I will get into laser and metal also.

Having had both the HF and the Rayzist equipment I would not buy the HF again. Yes, it will save you money and do the job but the Rayzist or other pro unit is far superior in terms of dust control (a major issue) lighting, space and recycling the medium. I would also go for silicon carbide as my medium. Longer lasting, sharper and will not produce the very annoying static electricity. It costs more but it's worth it.

Buying a pro unit will still be cheaper than buying a Chinese laser.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7