Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Misread?

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wasser View Post
    Double what Dale said about a platform. I used one for years and it is an accident waiting to happen. And like Dale said, cleanup is even worse. If you can't adjust the lathe to the proper height for you then don't buy it
    I have to agree with Al & Dale - platforms introduce a couple of extra hazards into the workshop. The spindle height / lack of height adjustment on stands issue is simply another instance of lathe designers & manufacturers cost savings / poor design that create hazards for wood turners.

Turners generally are "oldies" so we should be looking at creating a workshop / shed environment with less hazards - not more - so get rid of potential slip, trip & fall hazards. Sudden changes in floor surfaces, especially low steps of a few inches in height are not not very safe from a fall prevention viewpoint. Combine the low step with a curled up edge on a comfort mat & the hazard level increases again.

http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/...ct%20Sheet.pdf

I agree on the platforms, and I even got rid of rubber mats in my shop for the same reason. A couple of times catching a toe on the edge of one was enough. I didn't need to fall head first into one of the machines! Besides, cleanup is a pain with mats, much less a platform.

Joe

I have the G0766 and felt it was a little too tall. Thought about building a platform to stand on but really didn't like that idea. Finally hit on the idea to build a storage cabinet under it (which I wanted anyway) which did away with the legs on the lathe and lowered it to the height I wanted. I also added about 500lb of sand to the cabinet for stability. Just another possible option.
    Sparky Paessler

Thinking about what OSHA would do to a raised platform around a lathe is nightmare material. The 'adjust to any height' lathes are the best idea, but the cheaper lathes won't come with that 'extra' option. If I have some one in my shop to turn, I do have a platform available, but stand around them to make sure they don't fall off. I also have a second lathe that I keep at a lower height adjustment because I prefer mine above elbow height. Maybe a hydraulic assist variable height??? Oh, more money...

robo hippy

5. Another option is to take the feet off the leg castings, and shim with a 1/4" rubber pad under each leg, and bolt to the floor, but not so tight that the rubber pads are unable to absorb vibration ......of course, one needs a level floor to make this work well.

This would lower the center height about 1.25 inches.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!