Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Kiyotada Chisel Pics 1/5 Oire & Mukomachi Chisel Sets

If the white steel 2 kiku's are the ones that regularly come up on ebay as sets of 10 then your jindaiko's and the sukemaru ws1's will have a noticeable difference. Compared to that of say, kiku ws1's which are great, too. Just pricier.

A year or so ago I ordered a set of the exact Kikuhiromaru ws#2 chisels on ebay that you're talking about, Rhys. As it turned out, the USPS thought that some woodworker in Puerto Rico needed the chisels more that I did, so it sent them there instead of to me in Pennsylvania. Close but no cigar. They were insured so I was refunded, and put the money instead toward a set of ws#1 from Stan. Knowing what I now know, I don't think I would bother with ws#2. Shirogami #1 takes such a fine edge I fear I'd be disappointed by anything else.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

3. The Kikuhiromarus my husband gave me as a present are also from ebay. I immediately was very disappointed the first time I used them because prior to that I had only used my father's Ichihiros. I ended up selling them to a friend (after I bought my Jindaikos) who loves them but he has never used a very hard white steel 1 chisel so he doesn't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    A year or so ago I ordered a set of the exact Kikuhiromaru ws#2 chisels on ebay that you're talking about, Rhys. As it turned out, the USPS thought that some woodworker in Puerto Rico needed the chisels more that I did, so it sent them there instead of to me in Pennsylvania. Close but no cigar. They were insured so I was refunded, and put the money instead toward a set of ws#1 from Stan. Knowing what I now know, I don't think I would bother with ws#2. Shirogami #1 takes such a fine edge I fear I'd be disappointed by anything else.
    This has been an interesting thread for me especially with the talk turning into a look at WS#1 vs 2. The number that Hitachi gives for white steel #1 is something like 1.4 - 1.2% carbon. For WS#2 it is 1.2 - 1.0% carbon. All batches of steels have variance, and this is no different anywhere in the world. In the States some particular batches of W1 are prized and there is always that "old stock" stuff in Japan that is said to be better. That last one without specs I won't bother to even be inclined to believe but I wonder if with the skill of this smith that's working for Sukemaru, and a 1.2% carbon batch of WS#2 he is pulling off something close to the white steel #1, certainly something that would seem just like a WS#1 tool made by another smith who might be more lax about time, temp, positions in fire, fire control etc. There is also the whole aspect of WS#1 is only going to be sharper if you leave it in that higher Rc realm. With a 1.2% carbon batch of WS#2 then you could be pulling the same results as many other great WS#1 chisels.

All that being said I think there is a certain bit of overhype about WS#1 etc. To the point of sheer mysticism and fetishization. The smith is far more important. Give Stan's smith a nice piece of 1095 or W1 and the guy could probably produce a better chisel than some other smiths working with #1 or #2. Since the smith for these WS#2 is the same as Stans or is at least someone that Yoshio Usui trusts making chisels under his brand name then thats a big factor.

I was abusing my Stan chisels Saturday night on a knot that I cringed to see....no edge damage!
    This thing was wicked sharp, and sharpens nice!

Oh, and Jessica, if you haven't gotten a gennou from Stan, you're missing out.

I got one from him, and use it on my chisels.
    Feels really great!
    Also, it has an uncanny ability to transfer the intent with a minimum of shock...somehow without damaging my handles.

7. My dad has several gennous and I've used them as well but somehow it still feels wrong to me to hit a chisel with a wooden handle with a metal hammer. I'm sticking with my wooden mallet.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Matt, gennou is the way I prefer. The handle makes all the difference.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Jessica, join the dark side!

All joking aside, you owe it to yourself to use a nice hand forged gennou.
    According to Stan, your work looks professional level (I've never seen your pictures).

10. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    According to Stan, your work looks professional level (I've never seen your pictures).
    That could be because I actually am a professional And I just posted some pictures: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....85#post2859285

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work! Professional work is within your wheelhouse
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.