Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kiyotada Chisel Pics 1/5 Oire & Mukomachi Chisel Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys Hurcombe View Post
    Another +1 for Stan's blacksmith. I have 5 mukomachi nomi from him that i've enjoyed using. I'd say you're not getting the level of fit and finish that you may get from other certain smiths but the steel / forge quality is at the top plus the price is hard to beat for their performance! Especially the case with mukomachi nomi, they have to be accurately made otherwise you'll be having endless troubles getting accurate mortises. I'm not talking about squaring routed mortise corners or finishing off a mortise that's been hogged out with a drill bit. A mortise purely made with the chisel. Wouldn't mind trying out an usu nomi from him, too. I have some kiku's and kiyohisas but always like trying new chisels. Might have to sell the kiyohisa's ....
    I have a shinogi nomi and a mitsuura usunomi, both from Stan's smith. I am very pleased with the quality of the steel in both. The shinogi nomi is thin in cross section and light in the hand allowing for very precise cuts. The mitsuura usunomi is a wide paring chisel (32mm) that was ordered specifically for paring operations where the ura side would reference on an adjacent flat surface, and also for use in fitting tenons where I like to use a chisel that is wider than the tenon is long. It is a work of art and a joy to use.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Interesting to follow this thread.

I've been away from the creek for a while. Partly because of the stuff that happened to Stan.
    Partly because I've been extremely busy with my small business.

Jessica- I thought Usui was a very highly regarded blacksmith? Stan had mentioned that he might find me some Usui planes as a favor, but the guy's stuff in general has gotten "hollywood" in pricing (but I'm not sure if I'm messing up smiths).

Derek- I had some Koyamaichi chisels from Stu (tried it as a New Year's special).
    The Koyamaichi chisels are good, take a great edge, and easy to sharpen.
    My Masashige chisels from Hida are better, tougher, take a better edge, and as easy to sharpen.
    I got mine used off ebay, from some woodworker in Oregon.
    http://www.hidatool.com/woodworking/...red-oak-handle
    The Stan economy white chisels are significantly better than my Masashige chisels.
    You should seriously try those chisels.

Anyways, it's a pleasure using great tools.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Jessica- I thought Usui was a very highly regarded blacksmith?
    Stan said to me once he thinks Usui makes "a very fine" chisel. I think he doesn't use those words lightly to describe a chisel. I certainly am very content with mine. They are very hard, tough, don't chip and are easy to sharpen. What more could one want in a chisel?

Stan had mentioned that he might find me some Usui planes as a favor, but the guy's stuff in general has gotten "hollywood" in pricing (but I'm not sure if I'm messing up smiths).
    I think there's a possibility you might be thinking of a blacksmith called Funatsu. Stan expressed his loathing for him, how he went "Hollywood" and jacked up his prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    Stan said to me once he thinks Usui makes "a very fine" chisel. I think he doesn't use those words lightly to describe a chisel. I certainly am very content with mine. They are very hard, tough, don't chip and are easy to sharpen. What more could one want in a chisel?

I think there's a possibility you might be thinking of a blacksmith called Funatsu. Stan expressed his loathing for him, how he went "Hollywood" and jacked up his prices.
    When I heard Usui plane my mind jumped to Usui Kengo. But then I don't think that the Usui Kengo would get mixed up. Also kinda past Hollywood pricing with him gone and his already Hollywood equivalent fame before his passing. Interesting about Stan disliking Funahiro. So at J tool recently did his test on the Sukemaru chisels. He had sent me an email about something else and included that he was going to carry these too a little ways back - coincidentally right after Sukemaru had just gotten mentioned here. I am not in a position to buy any tools but like keeping up to date for possible future luck and the test itself was interesting enough but near the end So added something about Funatsu and the world revolving around him. But then tempered it with "he's never arrogant" and you need to get to know him etc sort of thing.

back to non gossip: From So's review on his site
    "Sukemaru's Usui-san (the brand owner cum head smith, Yoshio Usui-san) insists that this is made with WS2, I've double checked this, that they can only offer WS2 option, but..., I don't know why, it just very very very much feels like harder and well made WS1 (not the poorly made decarburised ones), but I just can't think of any reason for anyone to want to claim something is WS2 when it's actually WS1..., so I guess it IS WS2, but it's just so darn hard!!!!!!! If you were told that it's WS1, you'd NEVER doubt it, I know I will NEVER!"

This grabbed my attention. So also put these at Ichiros and Kamon Kiyohisas hardness. This speaks highly of this smith's skill. As long as they're hard and decently tough I don't care if its #1 or #2. #2 would achieve Rc 65-66 just fine. Hell even western steels like 1095 can (as quenched before temper). Having the skill to HT in a charcoal forge while avoiding grain growth and having the confidence to leave the chisels at such high hardness going in contrast with the mainstream hobbyist hardnesses... I am jealous.

On the topic of the smith: "But just so you know, the smith who is working on this WS Oiire, he seems to be very old, over 80 according to the rumors, so it won't be too long at all until I won't be able to supply, it could be like next month that he'll announce his retirement, really, so if you are interested, try to get all the sizes you need, and even a back up set or two to last your craftsman lifetime. It should be totally worth it. I mean just look at the price........ If I had enough fund and space to stock, I would order 10~20 sets (of course as a seller I mean, not user, two or three sets will suffice as a user.)"

Sound's like a real old school smith like Stans... I really would be sad if he retired within the half year; another big motivation for me to make money. And start swinging my smithing hammers more...

I also ran across another thread on a place I can't link; "Anyway, about the oire-nomis I'm looking for. I know that Yoshio Usui (Sukemaru) doesn't make them himself (he used to in the past), he subcontracts them out to another blacksmith. These chisels almost as good as the later stuff from Kiyotada but at a third of the price. Very well forged white steel 1 at 65-66HRC and very tough. The same blacksmith also makes chisels for a company called Jindaiko-honpo, a wholesaler Sanjo-shi. The problem is that they don't sell directly to customers overseas. They have an exclusive agreement with a guy called Stanley Covington to handle all their overseas customers. I tried to buy them with Tenso but when they saw my non-Japanese name (or maybe they know what Tenso is) they cancelled the sale. Of course not all stores are like this so I just need to find one that sells Sukemaru white steel oire-nomis."

Could it be that Stan's guy is Yoshio's guy too? Just a thought. Would be pretty cool. The quote above is 4 months old so perhaps knowledge changed. Maybe the person above is a member of our forum. I kinda hesitated because perhaps it would be uncomfortable for the person have their anonymous ID on another forum exposed. Feel free to contact me if you want me to remove this bit.

This post is pretty unorganized and scatter brained. Add the phrase severely sleep deprived and thats me right now. I hope it's linear enough that y'all can read it. I've really liked following this thread. Does make me a little sad that Stan won't be making any more of these threads.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tai View Post
    Could it be that Stan's guy is Yoshio's guy too? Just a thought. Would be pretty cool.
    I can answer this one. Stan told me the blacksmith he works with also makes oire-nomis for Yoshio Usui (Sukemaru) and Jindaiko-honpo. My oire, atsu, usu and mokumachi nomis are all from Jindaiko-honpo. To summarise, my oire and usu-nomis are made by the blacksmith Stan works with, the one who also makes oire and usu-nomis for Yoshio Usui and Jindaiko-honpo. The atsu and mokumachi-nomis are made by Yoshio Usui himself for Jindaiko-honpo. I found there is no noticeable difference in hardness and toughness between my oire-nomis from Stan's blacksmith and Yoshio Usui's atsu and mokumachi-nomis in day to day use.
    Last edited by Jessica de Boer; 10-07-2018 at 8:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    The chisels from Sukemaru that Stan got for me are excellent, same cutting edge quality as the top end WS1 makers.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tai View Post
    "Sukemaru's Usui-san (the brand owner cum head smith, Yoshio Usui-san)
    Did anyone notice something funny in this sentence? Cum is slang for semen hahaha. I wonder if the shop owner knows.

Did anyone notice something funny in this sentence? Cum is slang for semen hahaha. I wonder if the shop owner knows.
    It’s a word with Latin etymology meaning a second role.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    As in a study-cum-bedroom, or http://www.premiumtoolbags.com/tools...gs-501631.html

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Yeah; So's English is pretty good, he went to university in the States too.

Thank's Jessica for confirming that the smith is one and the same.

I know that cum means more things. I just have a dirty mind

And I don't know how many of you have ever used Ichihiro chisels but I have used my dad's more times than I can remember. The ones made by this mystery blacksmith are just as good in every way.
    Last edited by Jessica de Boer; 10-08-2018 at 11:42 AM.

[QUOTE=Jessica de Boer;2855207]Stan said to me once he thinks Usui makes "a very fine" chisel. I think he doesn't use those words lightly to describe a chisel. I certainly am very content with mine. They are very hard, tough, don't chip and are easy to sharpen. What more could one want in a chisel?

You might be right.

I'll ask him.
    Currently considering getting waterstones to sharpen the proper way.
    I've beet gravitating towards O1 and good japanese steel recently.
    Feels meditative on a good stone.

I got my blacksmiths mixed up.

Stan indeed mentioned Usui Kengo to me a few years back when I thought of ordering some more tools from him. He said that they're hard to find in non-insane prices, but that he might know a few places.

I might order a 60 mm or smaller plane from him sometime.
    However, I promised him that I wouldn't waste my life just buying tools....I'd go out, get a girlfriend, and get on with life.

It's much easier for me to build a server, pull a tooth or do a root canal...sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tai View Post
    When I heard Usui plane my mind jumped to Usui Kengo. But then I don't think that the Usui Kengo would get mixed up. Also kinda past Hollywood pricing with him gone and his already Hollywood equivalent fame before his passing. Interesting about Stan disliking Funahiro. So at J tool recently did his test on the Sukemaru chisels. He had sent me an email about something else and included that he was going to carry these too a little ways back - coincidentally right after Sukemaru had just gotten mentioned here. I am not in a position to buy any tools but like keeping up to date for possible future luck and the test itself was interesting enough but near the end So added something about Funatsu and the world revolving around him. But then tempered it with "he's never arrogant" and you need to get to know him etc sort of thing.

back to non gossip: From So's review on his site
    "Sukemaru's Usui-san (the brand owner cum head smith, Yoshio Usui-san) insists that this is made with WS2, I've double checked this, that they can only offer WS2 option, but..., I don't know why, it just very very very much feels like harder and well made WS1 (not the poorly made decarburised ones), but I just can't think of any reason for anyone to want to claim something is WS2 when it's actually WS1..., so I guess it IS WS2, but it's just so darn hard!!!!!!! If you were told that it's WS1, you'd NEVER doubt it, I know I will NEVER!"

This grabbed my attention. So also put these at Ichiros and Kamon Kiyohisas hardness. This speaks highly of this smith's skill. As long as they're hard and decently tough I don't care if its #1 or #2. #2 would achieve Rc 65-66 just fine. Hell even western steels like 1095 can (as quenched before temper). Having the skill to HT in a charcoal forge while avoiding grain growth and having the confidence to leave the chisels at such high hardness going in contrast with the mainstream hobbyist hardnesses... I am jealous.

On the topic of the smith: "But just so you know, the smith who is working on this WS Oiire, he seems to be very old, over 80 according to the rumors, so it won't be too long at all until I won't be able to supply, it could be like next month that he'll announce his retirement, really, so if you are interested, try to get all the sizes you need, and even a back up set or two to last your craftsman lifetime. It should be totally worth it. I mean just look at the price........ If I had enough fund and space to stock, I would order 10~20 sets (of course as a seller I mean, not user, two or three sets will suffice as a user.)"

Sound's like a real old school smith like Stans... I really would be sad if he retired within the half year; another big motivation for me to make money. And start swinging my smithing hammers more...

I also ran across another thread on a place I can't link; "Anyway, about the oire-nomis I'm looking for. I know that Yoshio Usui (Sukemaru) doesn't make them himself (he used to in the past), he subcontracts them out to another blacksmith. These chisels almost as good as the later stuff from Kiyotada but at a third of the price. Very well forged white steel 1 at 65-66HRC and very tough. The same blacksmith also makes chisels for a company called Jindaiko-honpo, a wholesaler Sanjo-shi. The problem is that they don't sell directly to customers overseas. They have an exclusive agreement with a guy called Stanley Covington to handle all their overseas customers. I tried to buy them with Tenso but when they saw my non-Japanese name (or maybe they know what Tenso is) they cancelled the sale. Of course not all stores are like this so I just need to find one that sells Sukemaru white steel oire-nomis."

Could it be that Stan's guy is Yoshio's guy too? Just a thought. Would be pretty cool. The quote above is 4 months old so perhaps knowledge changed. Maybe the person above is a member of our forum. I kinda hesitated because perhaps it would be uncomfortable for the person have their anonymous ID on another forum exposed. Feel free to contact me if you want me to remove this bit.

This post is pretty unorganized and scatter brained. Add the phrase severely sleep deprived and thats me right now. I hope it's linear enough that y'all can read it. I've really liked following this thread. Does make me a little sad that Stan won't be making any more of these threads.

I have a feeling that Jessica is a much, much better woodworker than I am.

I still need to finish setting the hoops on the Oire-Nomi Stan got for me...
    Need to do more woodworking, and less thinking about it.

I can answer this one. Stan told me the blacksmith he works with also makes oire-nomis for Yoshio Usui (Sukemaru) and Jindaiko-honpo. My oire, atsu, usu and mokumachi nomis are all from Jindaiko-honpo. To summarise, my oire and usu-nomis are made by the blacksmith Stan works with, the one who also makes oire and usu-nomis for Yoshio Usui and Jindaiko-honpo. The atsu and mokumachi-nomis are made by Yoshio Usui himself for Jindaiko-honpo. I found there is no noticeable difference in hardness and toughness between my oire-nomis from Stan's blacksmith and Yoshio Usui's atsu and mokumachi-nomis in day to day use.

15. I was very curious about the Sukemaru white steel 2 oire-nomis that japan-tool sells so I ordered one. I have used white steel 2 oire-nomis from Kikuhiromaru for a short time but other than that I only have experience with white steel 1 tools. I wonder how Sukemaru will hold up compared to my white steel 1 Jindaiko oire-nomis since it's made by the same blacksmith.