Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6" dia blade on a SawStop?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lindsey View Post
    Buy a cheap job site saw and do it with that.

Great suggestion! I was sort of thinking along those lines as well.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    This is just one reason I kept my Unisaw when I got the SS. I am fortunate to have room for both, and use it for dado's mostly. Amazing how often I use a dado now that I can leave it on the saw.

Haven't done it yet, but I plan to get a Freud skillsaw blade for making narrow kerf cuts to make inlay ribbon. I need to make a very narrow splitter first for safety.
    I have a very thin kerf 6” blade I ordered for use in my shaper, if I remember correctly it’s 0.060”

It is very handy…..Rod
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 10-11-2021 at 3:16 PM.

Thanks for writing back, Steve. Yes, I understand the need for thick stock. Steve England of Super Thin Saws called and said they could make such an 8" saw and estimated the cost to be $400 with an 18 week lead time. I have a CNC machine and a .023" bit intended for cutting fret slots, but I have not yet tried to set the machine up for this purpose. It probably isn't as difficult as it seems from my inexperienced view, but getting started is still daunting. Could you please give me advice on what feed rate and depth of cut per pass would be suitable to start with for such a small diameter cutter?
    Thanks and best wishes,
    Peter

Why not hand cut them.

For 8" blade I know they dont like going thin because they need to be able to be harmonically balanced or whatever. but for this purpose you only need the outer 1/4" to be thin. Your not trying to make a 2" deep cut

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/nee...ewmac.1379335/ found this post maybe it will help. The RAS/miter saw is used according to them.
    Last edited by George Yetka; 10-11-2021 at 12:47 PM.

Off the wall probably, but couldn't you do it with a bandsaw jig? Or Scrollsaw?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Hold on a sec.

1/32 = .03125"

What saw blade is thinner than that? 1/16 is the thinnest I've ever seen.

What's the problem buying a fret saw from StewMac?

Just how many guitars are you making?

small blades are available in many thicknesses. KBC is one supplier in Canada. They are not going to be six inches they are small maybe three inches so if you are doing enough of this then be worth building something that does not have the limitations you get with a table saw. . Ive used them on shapers but different cut and wont work for you. Guitar builder doing volume will have a machine with blades to cut them all in one shot.

Capture.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 10-11-2021 at 2:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes, this. Make a sled for the cheap-o saw, mount your blade and go for it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Agree completely. Maybe a specialized sled for the fret cutting too.

What about a .023 router bit?

They make one with a 1/8th inch shank.
    https://bitsbits.com/product/fret-slot-cutting-cnc-bit/
    I'm pretty sure that there's one for my Makita compact cordless router.
    A sled would make it easy to cut frets
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rodman View Post
    I have a CNC machine and a .023" bit intended for cutting fret slots, but I have not yet tried to set the machine up for this purpose. It probably isn't as difficult as it seems from my inexperienced view, but getting started is still daunting. Could you please give me advice on what feed rate and depth of cut per pass would be suitable to start with for such a small diameter cutter?
    Thanks and best wishes,
    Peter
    On my Camaster Stinger II, I use the Precise Bits (Tinker and Tinker) .023" 3 flute bit for fret slots. Ron from the company and I had a phone conversation and he did the math, arriving at 24 ipm at 18K RPM, 5 passes to accommodate 2mm depth of cut for each fret slot. This has worked well for me. I cut the slots after radiusing and use Vectric's feature that has the 2D slot cut toolpath follow the contour of the previous 2.5/3D radiusing toolpaths so the slots are the full 2mm deep all the way across.

---

Rich, I don't believe you would be very happy trying to cut with .023" tooling in a hand-held router with a sled. You need multiple passes that would be very hard to adjust for, depth wise, and any even minor variation in motion will snap the cutter from stress. These tiny things are best left to CNC for that reason because of the level of control available.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-11-2021 at 7:23 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I found screws in my odds and ends fastener drawer that threaded right into a hole on the aluminum block on the brake cartridge. Then tweaked a short piece of 1/8 x 1" aluminum bar stock to terminate at the end of the arbor. If I can find it, I'll share a pic. I have a v-groove panel project later this week that needs the magic molder and will need to dig it out.

edit, found this post that shows the concept. I just replaced the wire with aluminum bar stock so that there was no way it would contact anything.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....light=saw+stop
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 10-12-2021 at 12:03 AM.
    JR

We used to use the blades Jim mentions to cut aluminum.

Here is a guy that took one of the the slitting blades I mentioned which are also for cutting aluminum though I was using them on red oak.

Capture.JPG

Good timing on a revived old thread. I have a 1 3/4 Saw Stop cabinet and had a similar question to what's available.

I emailed Total Saw Solutions and Don emailed me back just a few weeks ago. They have 8" Carbide .023 kerf in stock. Expensive at $399, but a custom blade is not going to be cheap. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but eventually will get one.