Thread: Any experience with the Laguna Revo 18-36?

Any experience with the Laguna Revo 18-36?

I was looking at one of these beasts in Woodcraft the other day. It looks like it's got the same motor/VFD as the PM 3520B. I quite liked the tool rest clamp on the banjo, and I quite liked the shape of the headstock for access to the back of the turning.

The inboard swing is 18" as distinct from 20" (which is what I've been leaning towards) but, on sale at 2250, it's a bit tempting...

Anyone have experience of this lathe? The design is a bit different from the 20 and 24 inch machines in the lineup so I'm curious if people have experience with this specific machine.

Here in Colorado, I'm not finding many larger lathes coming up used. Somewhat reluctantly, I'm thinking of a new machine...

regards
    Doug

Doug,
    I know I'm not answering your question directly. However, if I were in this market, I'd be looking at the Grizzly G0766 with a 22" swing for $1725 shipped. Grizzly has had a few growing pains with this lathe that they have addressed pretty well IMHO. It seems to be the best bang for the buck in this class right now.

I think that Laguna had a few problems with their lathes a few years ago that weren't handled well IIRC. Hopefully they have adddressed those issues and are better now.

The Laguna and Grizzly lathes of equivalent sizes are very similar with only motor/VFD differences that I've noticed lately. I tend to lean in the direction of Grizzly products based on more responsive customer service.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 02-03-2016 at 10:09 AM.

3. Just to echo Dick's comments and elaborate a bit......Grizzly has two brand new lathes in their new catalog. The G0800 and the G0799.......the G0800 is a 24" swing, 42" between centers, 3hp version with all the bells and whistles of the PM4224, and the G0799 is a 20" version. They both look like the Revo from Laguna, except the Grizzly versions are a A/C motor and premium VFD, and the Laguna line uses a D/C motor/controller combo. They have tailstock swing-always, & many other features.

Of course, I have the G0766 22x42 unit and it is performing as well as any of the 9 3520b's I have turned on.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Cuero, Texas--Not too far from the third coast.
    I have the Laguna 18/47 Platinum--not exactly same machine--have not had any problems with it at all. Has turned everything I've put on it. Really appreciate the VFD.
    Using Texas woods--especially Mesquite, the "Queen" of woods.

5. Quote Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
    I have the Laguna 18/47 Platinum--not exactly same machine--have not had any problems with it at all. Has turned everything I've put on it. Really appreciate the VFD.
    The Laguna 18/47 and the Grizzly 18/47 I had for over 5 years are clones of each other with just different paint colors. They both use a D/C brushless motor, and a controller made by Toshiba. Just clarification.

Thanks for the replies, all. I am considering the Grizzly G0766, but Grizzly doesn't have a bed extension for outboard turning, and when I asked their tech support about it, they made no mention about one being available. I expect something could be fabricated, but it makes me wonder if the G0766 is a bit of a neglected stepchild in comparison to the new G0799 and G0800.

The G0799 is quite expensive. For another $200 or so, I could get the Powermatic when it shows up on a 10% off sale. The PM may, or may not, be a better lathe but, at least for a few years, is very likely to command better resale value should that be necessary.

It does look like the new Grizzly lathes are clones of the larger Laguna Revos (or at least look like they use the same castings etc). The Laguna 18-36 seems like a different machine altogether, including that it appears to use the same VFD and motor as the Powermatic.

Doug

7. Quote Originally Posted by Doug McKnight View Post
    Thanks for the replies, all. I am considering the Grizzly G0766, but Grizzly doesn't have a bed extension for outboard turning, and when I asked their tech support about it, they made no mention about one being available. I expect something could be fabricated, but it makes me wonder if the G0766 is a bit of a neglected stepchild in comparison to the new G0799 and G0800.

The G0799 is quite expensive. For another $200 or so, I could get the Powermatic when it shows up on a 10% off sale. The PM may, or may not, be a better lathe but, at least for a few years, is very likely to command better resale value should that be necessary.

It does look like the new Grizzly lathes are clones of the larger Laguna Revos (or at least look like they use the same castings etc). The Laguna 18-36 seems like a different machine altogether, including that it appears to use the same VFD and motor as the Powermatic.

Doug
    True about the 18/36......it has the A/C motor and VFD......the 20" & 24" have the D/C motor/converter configuration.....this is the Laguna lineup......the Grizzly's all have the A/C motor/VFD drive combo. Sorry for not clarifying that ...

Hi Doug, I just ordered the 18/36 and will try to keep you posted. I have tried it out at a Woodcraft Store in rockville, MD and I especially like the height ( I am 5'-7" tall), the banjo which is silky smooth on the lathe ways, the banjo clamping style (which I have read on other posts that the folks like the banjo enough not to go after market to ONEWAY for their banjo - which is a common comment for those who have the Grizzly's; the majority seem to alway upgrade to the ONEWAY banjo.

The tailstock is rock solid on the ways and the quill shaft sticking out of the tailstock base has no rattle or looseness.

The headstock with the Harvey-Lathe-Style taper is very nice on bowl turning for access to the turning blank near the headstock.

I only wish I could remote the control panel as they have done on the Laguna 24/36. I am a bit of a geek so who knows, I may do a field mod to it some day

Also, I found that if you order the bed extension, either the 20: or the 12" swing away, you should go direct to Laguna for these (cannot get the lathe direct from them as of this writing). The reason? flat rate $5 shipping, not a $75 drop ship rate from a third party seller.

Rockler is selling the lathe at 10% off this week, with an option to finance it for 6-months same as cash - so I bought it, and bought the 12" swing away extension from Laguna.

Scott Turnquist

Make no mistake about it the Grizzly and newer Laguna Revo series lathes are not in anyway alike. I owned a 0766 for 1-1/2 years and have had the 1836 for several months now and they do not compare in anyway. The grizzly is a great lathe for the money and I will not argue that fact, I had really no problems with mine, but if you can afford the extra for the laguna you will be much happier with it and have less headaches and aggravation down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Turnquist View Post
    I only wish I could remote the control panel as they have done on the Laguna 24/36. I am a bit of a geek so who knows, I may do a field mod to it some day

Also, I found that if you order the bed extension, either the 20: or the 12" swing away, you should go direct to Laguna for these (cannot get the lathe direct from them as of this writing). The reason? flat rate $5 shipping, not a $75 drop ship rate from a third party seller.

Rockler is selling the lathe at 10% off this week, with an option to finance it for 6-months same as cash - so I bought it, and bought the 12" swing away extension from Laguna.

Scott Turnquist
    Scott, you are going to love the Laguna! On the remote, I have wondered if one could order the remote control for the 2436 and wire it into the 1836. I am not an electrician, but I wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult - IF they will sell just the remote.

As for the extension, I purchased my lathe from Woodcraft when it was on sale and had them order the extension for me - no extra delivery fees. I think they may have a deal with Laguna for free freight.

I picked up the lathe and extension from Woodcraft - they loaded it with their forklift. I unloaded it with my shop crane, though one could probably uncrate it in the bed of the truck and unload each component separately with a strong helper. Obviously, the headstock is the most cumbersome to unload. It is attached to the bed in the crate, so I just moved the headstock to the middle of the bed and lifted the combined unit and set the legs under it. I had my wife hold each leg upright while I maneuvered the bed/headstock into position.

Left click my name for homepage link.

11. Just wanted to add something about Laguna customer care service. I had a really good experience.
    I received my 1836 last April and after a month I was having a little issue with the banjo's handle. Nothing crazy, I just needed to push a little bit more to lock the banjo. Contacted Laguna CC and they gave me a couple of hints to try to fix it. It didn't work and they sent me a new banjo the week after.

I had a question last night at a club meeting in Salem, and wonder if some Laguna owners can clarify. Apparently the Laguna has a 25mm hole for their tool rest in the banjo and some one wanted to know if a 1 inch post would fit. I have no real answer. I did use one at a club demo and it seemed that the 1 inch post was very snug, but would go in... Anyone know for sure???

robo hippy

Reed, all of my 1” posts worked fine. I did order a couple more Robust rests in sizes and styles I didn’t have and one of them was snug. I drawfiled it one time around, sanded it and it worked fine.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I have purchased a 1" post from Lee Valley and it works fine as is.. no adjustment needed.

I bought three Robust rest and everyone fit fine. The original tool rest post measured 0.999".
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.