Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Importing Machine held up by FDA

Richard, Jerome - When I was most concerned that my machine was going to be a loss I was tempted to blame the broker, the manufacturer, the FDA and myself! Of course, and I don't mean to sound polyanna, blaming someone or something is totally natural when things are going wrong AND usually pretty ineffective. I think it would take a pretty special broker to have caught this detail and the manufacturer was new to selling to the USA, likely they may not have been aware of the certification. I DID think about suing the broker when I was feeling desperate and I like her and she has served me well in the past so that didn't feel like an attractive solution. I am glad not to be weighing that option right now. This machine had not been sold in the USA before it seems and I bought it based on recommendations I got from other international users. I am still optimistic about the machine itself. Even had I asked for a USA recommendation and were told there were only owners in Australia, England etc. I don't see how I would have seen red flags. This accession number thing was just a total blind spot for me (and my broker). So, its just really a cautionary tale. There are a limited number of Chinese manufacturers that sell machines in the USA and one might do well to buy from them, even if one finds a superior product that has not found its way to the USA yet. The system the FDA uses here is entirely uncompromising and its was, like I said, a combination of real luck, cooperation and creativity that saved my machine from a loss. The the FDA gives no quarter was surprising and alarming given how complicated and vulnerable the import process already is.
    100 Watt Laserworld TH 9060 pass through CO2 laser (220 volt)
    Laser cut 5.3
    JCUT 25S 4.5kW (6hp) water cooled, dual spindles, 1300X2500x300(z) or approx 4'x8'x12" table
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

2. Can anyone else share any ideas on this. my situation is a little different and I will explain. I received my machine but I was told by the shipping broker that it had not been passed by FDA ( How did the trucking company get it and deliver it to me?).A week after I received it I get a letter from FDA saying it is detained ( I have machine) One of the letters says something about FDA FORM 2877. Any advice on this would be grateful. Thanks in advance
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by mitch stephens View Post
    Can anyone else share any ideas on this. my situation is a little different and I will explain. I received my machine but I was told by the shipping broker that it had not been passed by FDA ( How did the trucking company get it and deliver it to me?).A week after I received it I get a letter from FDA saying it is detained ( I have machine) One of the letters says something about FDA FORM 2877. Any advice on this would be grateful. Thanks in advance
    Mitch
    Since this thread is over a year old you need to start your own with the details posted on Your issue.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10