Thread: Vortex bowl from boards

Vortex bowl from boards

This is made up of offcuts of walnut, mahogany, cherry, maple and purple heart. It is about 9" in diameter and 6" high. The finish so far is 3 coats of polyermized tung oil.
    interior_2.jpgexterior_1.jpginterior_1_small.jpg
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Great looking bowl!... I have made quite a few Bowl from a Board bowls and I would be interested in how you get so many rings in yours. I use a 12" X 12" X 1" thick board and get 6 3/4" rings which I glue up. Would you use something similar size but just cut maybe 1/4" rings to build it up?

Barry: These are done a bit differently than the one board = one bowl technique. With these, you don't cut angled rings from one board. You cut 90° rings from several boards. If you go to Youtube and search on "tom lohman", you will see his video on how to make a "twister". In short, you start with one thick board that you have glued up from strips of various woods in various thicknesses (sort of a side grain cutting board). You re-saw it into several thin boards, then cut your rings out of the thin boards. The hard part (at least for me) is laying out the board on paper so that so that you know the sizes of the rings you need, and the number of boards you need to make them. The video describes this much better than I just have. Then you stack the rings, twisting them to whatever pattern you like.

For this bowl, I had 6 boards, from which I cut 17 rings. To them I added a solid walnut base and a segmented walnut rim. Each ring was cut from a board that was 1/4" thick. The rings were 3/4" wide.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks Grant...I appreciate the help.....

Grant
    I apologize for not responding to your private message but the program wouldn't let me do it. I am going to try here. I left my phone number in the post about the low cost duplicator. Please call me and we can talk.

Oh wow, that is very nice!!