Thread: Long bevel cuts with a track saw.

Long bevel cuts with a track saw.

I'm building a pair of night stands which are essentially just cubes mitered at the corners. Each edge is 20 inches long by 17 inches deep. The material is solid Sapele. Will I be able to use a track saw (Festool) to make 45 degree cuts along the 17 inch dimension that are clean enough to leave no gaps? I expect to do a little clean up with a block plane after the cut. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any tips? I pan on using Dominos to join the corners. Thanks, Darren.

Your cuts should be perfectly straight if the guide is held stationary...this is one kind of project that I'd clamp the rail for sure! Otherwise, it's more of getting your measurements as perfect as possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Any tips?
    Yes - be careful of the edge.
    It can be razor sharp.

Also, the saw will want to "fall" off the rail. Not really, but, that's the best way I can describe it - - you'll see what I mean when you make the cut.
    Make sure your in a position to push down on the plate as you move the saw along the track.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I find that the key is to apply steady pressure on the rail side of the saw's base plate.